Help! How to Remove a Calculator Virus

In summary: I mentioned the toilet bowls...In summary, the calculator got a virus and I need to wipe the disk to get rid of it.
Mk
Oh darnit, I got a virus on my calculator from downloading a program onto it I assume. Should have sticked to writing my own! It is incapacitated. I need to wipe the disk from my computer, but how can I do this?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I didn't even know calcs could get viruses. What model is it, and what OS is it running?

What kind of calculator do you have?

And what do you mean by "wipe the disk from my computer"?

Try removing the batteries. Also, I think there is something like holding the ON button for some period of time (5 seconds maybe?) that resets the memory.edit... 8pm on a saturday night and posting about a calculator virus, only at PF :biggrin:

Take out the backup battery.

mattmns said:
edit... 8pm on a saturday night and posting about a calculator virus, only at PF :biggrin:

:smile: . Tell me about it... I have a major exam on monday, this sucks. :cry:

Jeez! I did take out the backup battery. Could they make it harder to take out? I kept trying to just pop it out without opening it up even though it is clearly visible you can't.

Holding the ON button doesn't work, I tried it :smile:.

Mayb if you tell us the calculator model, someone may know how to reset it.

Lol, I hope you didn't break it. Did it work? I just tried it on mine, but it maintained its memory.

Last edited:
Mk said:
Oh darnit, I got a virus on my calculator from downloading a program onto it I assume. Should have sticked to writing my own! It is incapacitated. I need to wipe the disk from my computer, but how can I do this?

I wonder, can you change the contrast? perhaps the contrast got turned way down? on a TI, turn it on and then press 2nd UP about 20 times.

I'm sorry! I guess I forgot to mention when I took out the backup battery it worked.

I actually had memory protection on and that's why I couldn't delete anything, but Omnicalc was unable to be accessed. I found the virus and deleted it, so everything is fine.

Thanks for your help!

This reminds me, I need into defrag my doorbell and clear up enough space to install Firefox on it. Also, my toothbrush needs an OS upgrade.

Rach3 said:
This reminds me, I need into defrag my doorbell and clear up enough space to install Firefox on it. Also, my toothbrush needs an OS upgrade.

:smile: You're sounding more cheerful tonight. Must be the benefits of turning gold. But be careful, viruses on your toothbrush are really, really nasty, but probably not nearly as bad as finding a worm on it, especially if you don't have a backup.

I had no idea calculators could catch viruses. Maybe that's where everyone gets those nasty colds from...it's their calculator spreading them. :biggrin:

I worry that someday our brains will catch viruses...

Meningitis isn't good enough for you?

Rach3 said:

Forget that. What you want is a Bluetooth toaster.

brewnog said:
Forget that. What you want is a Bluetooth toaster.

Actually, a bluetooth coffeemaker would be better...sit here in bed with my laptop and tell it to start brewing the coffee I really want but don't want to get up to start making (timers don't work on weekends, because I get to sleep in...well, until the cat decides I have to play fetch and starts shoving her ball in my face and meowing).

Bluetooth electric shock delivery implant for the cat?

brewnog said:
Bluetooth electric shock delivery implant for the cat?

:smile: Nah, I need something a little lower tech for her...those faucets that turn on with motion sensors, like in public bathrooms, but modified to just deliver a light spray when she climbs the countertops (and a switch for me to turn them off when I'm trying to work in the kitchen). Water spritzes are the only thing that keeps her off the countertops, but she's grown bolder, knowing the water spritzes only happen if I catch her. She's not very stealthy, so I can hear her on the counter from the other room, but as soon as I approach the kitchen, she's off and running. She made the mistake of jumping up and sticking her head in the sink today, so I just turned the sink on. :devil: She has only two places she's not allowed in the entire house, the kitchen counter and the dining room table, but still keeps trying. She only rarely attempts the dining room table, but the kitchen counter seems to fascinate her (probably because she sees her dinner dishes start out there before they get delivered to her placemat). Considering she prefers drinking out of the toilet bowls over a proper water dish, and will stick her front paws into the toilet as she reaches for a drink of water, I do not want those little paws on my kitchen counters! Geez, if I wanted a pet who drank out of toilet bowls, I'd have gotten a dog. I thought cats were supposed to be a little more sophisticated than that. :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:
Considering she prefers drinking out of the toilet bowls over a proper water dish, and will stick her front paws into the toilet as she reaches for a drink of water, I do not want those little paws on my kitchen counters! Geez, if I wanted a pet who drank out of toilet bowls, I'd have gotten a dog. I thought cats were supposed to be a little more sophisticated than that. :rolleyes:

A tiny little nudge and a flush and she'll never do that again. :smile: Plus cleaning of the toilet is done for the week.

Or just close the lid. :rolleyes: Actually, we always close the bathroom doors. Discovering what happens when you spin the toilet paper rolls can provide hours of entertainment for a cat.

Last edited:
BobG said:
A tiny little nudge and a flush and she'll never do that again. :smile: Plus cleaning of the toilet is done for the week.
Nah, she takes after me and is very stubborn when she wants to do something. I was sure she'd give up after falling in once, but nope, she just walks around with wet feet until they dry off on everything I don't want coated with toilet water. I did try flushing it once while she still had her head in...again, just a momentary setback in her mind. And, actually, I decided to just allow it because she somehow manages to knock over even the sturdiest water bowls, so I know she always has water available during the day. I do close the lid to the toilet in the one guest bathroom, because I figure my guests may not appreciate the wet toilet seat if I forget to forewarn them. :smile:

Actually, we always close the bathroom doors. Discovering what happens when you spin the toilet paper rolls can provide hours of entertainment for a cat.
She tried that once, but I guess other things are more amusing, since it didn't become a habit.

Hmm...and I'm so disappointed...I was waiting for a comment about slide rules not getting viruses! :biggrin:

Related to Help! How to Remove a Calculator Virus

What is a calculator virus?

A calculator virus is a type of malicious software that infects a calculator and can cause it to malfunction or display incorrect results. It can also spread to other devices or cause harm to the calculator's operating system.

How do I know if my calculator has a virus?

Some signs that your calculator may have a virus include unexpected errors, unusual display or behavior, or the calculator turning off or resetting on its own. You may also notice strange or unfamiliar programs or files on your calculator.

How did my calculator get a virus?

Calculator viruses can be introduced through infected files, downloads, or by connecting to an infected device. They can also spread through shared networks or by connecting an infected calculator to your device.

Can I remove a calculator virus?

Yes, it is possible to remove a calculator virus. However, it may require advanced technical knowledge and specialized tools. It is recommended to seek professional help or use reputable antivirus software to remove the virus.

How can I protect my calculator from viruses?

To protect your calculator from viruses, avoid downloading or transferring files from unknown sources. Keep your calculator's operating system and antivirus software up to date. Be cautious when connecting your calculator to other devices and networks, and regularly scan for viruses.