Heat equation in infinite space

In summary, the solution to the problem is to find $u(x,t)$ which follows from $k=0$, and the integral $\displaystyle{\int u_x dx}$ with limits in $-\infty\to+\infty$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I have to solve the following problem:
$$u_t=u_{xx}, x \in \mathbb{R}, t>0$$
$$u(x,0)=f(x)=H(x)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
1, x>0\\
0, x<0
\end{matrix}\right.$$

I have done the following:

We use the method separation of variables, $u(x,t)=X(x)T(t)$.

I have found that the eigenfunctions are $X_k(x)=e^{ikx}, \lambda=k^2, k \in \mathbb{R}$

$T_k(t)=e^{-k^2t}$

$$u(x,t)=\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}{\widetilde{f}(k) e^{ikx} e^{-k^2t}}dk$$

$$u(x,0)=H(x) \Rightarrow H(x)=\frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}{\widetilde{f}(k)e^{ikx}}dk$$

$$\widetilde{f}(k)=\int_0^{\infty}{e^{-ikx}}dx=\frac{1}{ik}$$

$$u(x,t)=\frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}{\frac{1}{ik} e^{ikx} e^{-k^2t}}dk$$

To find the last integral,I thought the following:

$$u_x= \frac{1}{\sqrt{4 \pi t}} e^{-\frac{x^2}{4t}}$$

$$u(x,t)=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{1}{\sqrt{4 \pi t}} e^{-\frac{x^2}{4t}} dx=\frac{1}{\sqrt{4 \pi t}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{ e^{-\frac{x^2}{4t}}}=1$$
since:

$$\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-\frac{x^2}{4t}}e^{-\frac{y^2}{4t}}dxdy= \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-\frac{x^2+y^2}{4t}}=\int_{0}^{+\infty} \int_{0}^{2 \pi} e^{\frac{-r^2}{4t}}r d \theta dr=\int_{0}^{+\infty} 2 \pi e^{\frac{-r^2}{4t}}r dr=- \pi [4t e^{\frac{-r^2}{4t}}]_0^{+\infty}=4t \pi \Rightarrow \int_{\infty}^{+\infty} e^{\frac{-x^2}{4t}}=\sqrt{4t \pi}$$

But the solution $u(x,t)=1$ does not satisfy the conditions. Where is my mistake? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi! :D

mathmari said:
$$\widetilde{f}(k)=\int_0^{\infty}{e^{-ikx}}dx=\frac{1}{ik}$$

This integral is only convergent if $k>0$.
If for instance $k=0$ you'll need to find a different approach.
$$u(x,t)=\frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}{\frac{1}{ik} e^{ikx} e^{-k^2t}}dk$$

To find the last integral,I thought the following:

$$u_x= \frac{1}{\sqrt{4 \pi t}} e^{-\frac{x^2}{4t}}$$

Where did you get that formula? (Confused)
$$u(x,t)=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{1}{\sqrt{4 \pi t}} e^{-\frac{x^2}{4t}} dx=\frac{1}{\sqrt{4 \pi t}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{ e^{-\frac{x^2}{4t}}}=1$$
since:

$$\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-\frac{x^2}{4t}}e^{-\frac{y^2}{4t}}dxdy= \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-\frac{x^2+y^2}{4t}}=\int_{0}^{+\infty} \int_{0}^{2 \pi} e^{\frac{-r^2}{4t}}r d \theta dr=\int_{0}^{+\infty} 2 \pi e^{\frac{-r^2}{4t}}r dr=- \pi [4t e^{\frac{-r^2}{4t}}]_0^{+\infty}=4t \pi \Rightarrow \int_{\infty}^{+\infty} e^{\frac{-x^2}{4t}}=\sqrt{4t \pi}$$

But the solution $u(x,t)=1$ does not satisfy the conditions. Where is my mistake? (Wondering)

The solution $u(x,t)=1$ follows from $k=0$, which is a special case.
Take another look at your derivation to see what happens if $k=0$.

I like Serena said:
Hi! :D
This integral is only convergent if $k>0$.
If for instance $k=0$ you'll need to find a different approach.

Where did you get that formula? (Confused)

The solution $u(x,t)=1$ follows from $k=0$, which is a special case.
Take another look at your derivation to see what happens if $k=0$.

I found that the solution of the problem has the following form:
$$u(x,t)=\frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}{\frac{1}{ik} e^{ikx}e^{-k^2t}}dk$$

Then, I derivated this in respect to $x$:
$$u_x=\frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}{\frac{1}{ik} e^{ikx}e^{-k^2t}}dk$$

Then, from the formula:
$$\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}{e^{ikb}e^{-k^2a}}dk=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}e^{-\frac{b^2}{4a}}$$

we get the following:
$$u_x=\frac{1}{2 \pi} \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{t}}e^{-\frac{x^2}{4t}}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{4 \pi t}} e^{-\frac{x^2}{4t}}$$

So to find $u(x,t)$, I have to calculate the integral $\displaystyle{\int u_x dx}$ but with what limits?? (Wondering)

Related to Heat equation in infinite space

1. What is the heat equation in infinite space?

The heat equation in infinite space is a mathematical model that describes how heat energy is transferred in a medium with no boundaries or constraints. It is used to study the behavior of heat in various physical systems, such as heat diffusion in solids, fluids, and gases.

2. How is the heat equation derived?

The heat equation is derived from the laws of thermodynamics, specifically the first and second laws. It also takes into account the properties of the medium, such as thermal conductivity and specific heat capacity, to describe the rate of change of temperature over time.

3. What are the boundary conditions for the heat equation in infinite space?

The heat equation in infinite space assumes a medium with no boundaries, so there are no specific boundary conditions. However, boundary conditions can be introduced to simulate a finite space or to model heat transfer between different mediums.

4. How is the heat equation solved in infinite space?

The heat equation can be solved using various analytical and numerical methods, such as separation of variables, finite difference methods, and Fourier series. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the problem and the desired level of accuracy.

5. What are the applications of the heat equation in infinite space?

The heat equation in infinite space is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and materials science. Some common applications include predicting the temperature distribution in a solid object, designing heat exchangers, and studying the behavior of heat in the Earth's crust.