Having trouble understanding minimal polynomial problems

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of finding a matrix representation for a given minimal polynomial. It is mentioned that two distinct matrices can have the same minimal polynomial and that similar matrices also have the same minimal polynomial. The possibility of constructing rational canonical forms using a minimal polynomial is also brought up.
catsarebad
i understand how to find minimal poly. if a matrix is given. i am curious if you can find the matrix representation if minimal polynomial is given.

i'm not exactly sure how you could since you can possibly lose repeated e-values when you write minimal polynomial. how can u create a n dimensional matrix from a polynomial with possibly lower power? idk just a dumb thought.

Physics news on Phys.org
Two distinct matrices (even of different sizes) can have the same minimal polynomial. So there is no "matrix representation" of a minimal polynomial.

Even if all eigenvalues were of "multiplicity" 1, they could correspond to different eigenvectors so to different matrices.

catsarebad said:
i understand how to find minimal poly. if a matrix is given. i am curious if you can find the matrix representation if minimal polynomial is given.

i'm not exactly sure how you could since you can possibly lose repeated e-values when you write minimal polynomial. how can u create a n dimensional matrix from a polynomial with possibly lower power? idk just a dumb thought.

I wouldn't call it a dumb thought, it is good that you are trying to develop a deeper understanding.

As was mentioned by other posters, distinct matrices can have the same minimal polynomial. In fact, similar matrices have the same minimal polynomial.

Given a minimal polynomial, you can construct particularly nice block matrices which are called rational canonical forms. Now for a given minimal polynomial for some nxn matrix, there is potentially more than one rational canonical forms you could construct. You would need to know more than just the minimal polynomial for your given transformation to determine which rat. canon. form is right for your transformation.

Let your vector space be polynomials modulo then given polynomial. Let the operator be multiplication by x. The matrix of the operator will have the desires minimal polynomial (of course not unique).

Related to Having trouble understanding minimal polynomial problems

1. What is a minimal polynomial?

A minimal polynomial is the smallest degree polynomial with integer coefficients that has a given number as a root. It is unique for each number and is used to simplify calculations involving that number.

2. Why do I need to understand minimal polynomial problems?

Understanding minimal polynomial problems is important for various fields of mathematics and science, including algebra, number theory, and cryptography. It allows for more efficient calculations and helps in solving complex problems.

3. How do I find the minimal polynomial for a given number?

To find the minimal polynomial for a given number, you can use various methods such as the Euclidean algorithm or factoring techniques. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of algebraic properties and techniques.

4. Can the minimal polynomial of a number change?

No, the minimal polynomial of a number is unique and does not change. However, it can be expressed differently depending on the chosen basis or representation.

5. What are some applications of minimal polynomial problems?

Minimal polynomial problems have various applications in mathematics and science, such as in coding theory, error-correcting codes, and cryptography. They also play a crucial role in understanding the properties of algebraic numbers and polynomials.