Have you heard of the VDSR upscaling algorithm?

• Thread starter bhobba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algorithm
In summary, the conversation discusses an algorithm for up-scaling images that uses 20 3x3x64 convolutions. The speaker's understanding of convolutions is that they produce more images each time, leading to a memory issue. However, another person suggests that the algorithm includes a 'residual' step between each convolution, reducing the number of images to 1. This step is the novelty of the method and is further explained in the paper.
Hi All

Here is an interesting algorithm for up-scaling images:
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1511.04587.pdf

It has 20 3x3x64 (some I have read use 3x3x16) convolutions. Now my understanding of convolutions means, the first produces 64 images from the 64 filers, then in the second convolution each of the 64 images has 64 filters applied etc so the last convolution would have 20^64 images. That's simply impossible memory wise. Either my understanding of convolutions is wrong or something else is going on. Maybe because its producing a difference output between the up-scaled image and bi-cubic up-scaling nearly all elements are zero and you can use sparse matrix techniques? I have read pruning generally is not used, which to me also suggests sparse array techniques

Thanks
Bill

Technology news on Phys.org
I've only skimmed it but I think you are missing the 'residual' step between each convolution. So each step is a convolution of 64 filters over the LR image which are then reduced down to 1 residual HR image. The details of this residual step are I think the essence of the novelty of the method described in the paper; see the sub-section titled 'Residual-Learning' in section 3.2.

But this is not my area of expertise (although it looks fascinating and the results appear remarkable) so I may be completely wrong :smile:

Likes bhobba

Related to Have you heard of the VDSR upscaling algorithm?

1. What is the VDSR upscaling algorithm?

The VDSR upscaling algorithm, also known as the Very Deep Super Resolution algorithm, is a machine learning-based method used to enhance the resolution of images or videos. It uses a deep convolutional neural network to learn the mapping between low-resolution and high-resolution images, and then applies this knowledge to enhance the quality of an input image.

2. How does the VDSR upscaling algorithm work?

The VDSR upscaling algorithm works by first breaking down an input image into smaller patches. These patches are then fed into a deep convolutional neural network, which has been trained on a large dataset of high and low-resolution image pairs. The network learns the relationship between these patches and uses this information to generate a high-resolution output image.

3. What are the advantages of using the VDSR upscaling algorithm?

The VDSR upscaling algorithm has several advantages, including its ability to produce high-quality results, its scalability to different types of images and videos, and its ability to handle different levels of noise and distortion. It also has a relatively fast processing time, making it suitable for real-time applications.

4. Are there any limitations of the VDSR upscaling algorithm?

Like any other algorithm, the VDSR upscaling algorithm has some limitations. It requires a large dataset of high and low-resolution image pairs for training, which can be time-consuming and resource-intensive. It also may not perform well on images or videos with significant changes in lighting or perspective.

5. How is the VDSR upscaling algorithm used in real-world applications?

The VDSR upscaling algorithm has a wide range of applications in fields such as image and video processing, computer vision, and medical imaging. It can be used to enhance the quality of low-resolution images and videos, improve the performance of surveillance and security systems, and aid in medical diagnosis and treatment. It is also used in consumer products, such as smartphones and digital cameras, to improve the quality of captured images.