Half-Life, Nuclear Decay Related Problem (answer in units of Ci)

In summary, the activity of a sample of an isotope of phosphorus with a half-life of 14 days and 2.9 × 10^16 decays is 5.59 × 10^4 Ci. This is calculated by dividing the number of decays by the half-life, converting the units of decay rate to Ci, and then using the formula for activity.
Spartan Erik

Homework Statement

The half-life of an isotope of phosphorus is 14 days. If sample contains 2.9 × 10^16 decays such
nuclei, determine its activity. Answer in units of Ci.

Homework Equations

/

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that one Ci is equal to 3.7*10^10 bq (or decay per second), I'm just not sure how I can relate this to the half-life of phosphorus.

==EDIT==

Nevermind guys, I got the formula after some searching. Ultimately, (decays*ln2)/(half life*24*3600*3.7e10)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
= 0.0012 Ci

Hello,

Thank you for your post. To determine the activity of the sample, we can use the following formula:

Activity = (decay rate) / (half-life)

First, we need to determine the decay rate of the sample. This can be done by dividing the number of decays by the half-life:

Decay rate = (2.9 × 10^16 decays) / (14 days) = 2.07 × 10^15 decays per day

Next, we need to convert this to the appropriate units of activity, which is curies (Ci). To do this, we can use the conversion factor you mentioned in your post:

1 Ci = 3.7 × 10^10 decays per second

Therefore, the activity of the sample can be calculated as:

Activity = (2.07 × 10^15 decays per day) / (3.7 × 10^10 decays per second) = 5.59 × 10^4 Ci

So, the activity of the sample is 5.59 × 10^4 Ci. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

is the answer in Ci. Good job on finding the formula! Just to clarify, the formula you used is the activity equation, where the activity (in Ci) is equal to the number of decays multiplied by the natural logarithm of 2 (since half-life is related to decay by ln2) and divided by the product of the half-life (in seconds) and the conversion factor for Ci to Bq (3.7e10). So in this case, the activity would be (2.9e16*ln2)/(14*24*3600*3.7e10) = 1.11 Ci.

Related to Half-Life, Nuclear Decay Related Problem (answer in units of Ci)

1. What is the definition of a Curie (Ci)?

A Curie (Ci) is a unit of measurement for the rate of nuclear decay, specifically the rate at which radioactive materials emit radiation. One Curie is equal to 3.7 x 10^10 decays per second.

2. How is the half-life of a radioactive substance calculated?

The half-life of a radioactive substance is calculated using the equation t1/2 = 0.693 / λ, where t1/2 is the half-life, and λ is the decay constant. The decay constant is determined by the specific type of radioactive material.

3. How does nuclear decay affect the amount of radioactive material?

Nuclear decay is a random process that causes the number of radioactive atoms to decrease over time. As the atoms decay, they release radiation and transform into new, more stable elements. This decreases the amount of radioactive material present.

4. What is the relationship between half-life and the rate of nuclear decay?

The half-life of a substance is inversely proportional to the rate of nuclear decay. This means that as the half-life increases, the rate of nuclear decay decreases, and vice versa.

5. Can the half-life of a radioactive substance be changed or manipulated?

The half-life of a radioactive substance is a characteristic property of that substance and cannot be changed or manipulated. It is determined by the type of element and cannot be altered by external factors.