Hack an Old Chiller: Is It Possible?

In summary, the speaker is considering using an old chiller for a research project, but it does not have any computer interfaces built in. They are wondering if it is possible to use Labview and a DAQ board to mimic the pressing of buttons on the chiller's electronic interface, and if changing the PID controller set-point is possible. They suggest trying it out to see if it works.
jordipg
I'm considering using an old chiller for a research project. It's a simple application, maintaining a bath of water at various constant or slowly varying temperatures. Unfortunately, since it's an http://www.thermo.com/com/cda/product/detail/1,,1000001155238,00.html", it doesn't have any computer interfaces built in (I know that some of those models had an RS-232 interface... sadly mine doesn't).

It does have an electronic interface on the front cover, though, and the temperature is controlled by pressing two buttons, using an installed PID controller. Is it possible to use something like Labview with a simple DAQ board (digital and analog I/O available) and an external thermometer to just mimic the pushing of those buttons? Is this more complicated than I am imagining?

Thanks,
-Jordan

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The temperature sensor would not have to be changed. You could probably change the PID controller set-point with some sort of "ramp and hold" circuit (maybe Labview). I'd say try and see.

Related to Hack an Old Chiller: Is It Possible?

1. Can an old chiller be hacked?

Yes, it is possible to hack an old chiller. However, it is important to note that hacking any system without proper authorization is illegal and can have serious consequences.

2. What are the potential risks of hacking an old chiller?

Hacking an old chiller can lead to serious safety hazards, including potential damage to the chiller itself and the surrounding environment. It can also compromise the performance and efficiency of the chiller.

3. How difficult is it to hack an old chiller?

The level of difficulty in hacking an old chiller depends on various factors, including the age and type of chiller, as well as the level of security measures in place. It is not recommended for individuals without proper training and expertise to attempt to hack a chiller.

4. Can hacking an old chiller save money on energy costs?

In some cases, hacking an old chiller may lead to short-term savings on energy costs. However, the long-term consequences and risks of hacking far outweigh any potential cost savings. It is not a recommended or ethical solution for reducing energy costs.

5. How can I prevent my old chiller from being hacked?

To prevent your old chiller from being hacked, it is important to regularly update and maintain its security measures. This can include implementing strong passwords, regularly monitoring and updating the chiller's software, and limiting physical access to the chiller. It is also important to have regular maintenance and inspections to identify any potential vulnerabilities.