Gravitational pull with the earth and moon

In summary, the mass of the moon is 7.35x10^22 kg and the distance between the Earth and the moon (center to center) is 3.84x10^5 km. At the point where the gravitational forces of the Earth and Moon cancel out, the ratio of their masses is approximately 81. This can be calculated by equating the gravitational forces of the Earth and Moon and solving for the ratio of their masses.
alicia113

Homework Statement

The mass of the moon is 7.35x10^22 kg. At some point between Earth and the Moon, the force of Earth's gravitational attraction on an object is canceled by the Moon's force of gravitational attraction. If the distance between the Earth and the moon (center to center) is 3.84x10^5 km, calculate where this will occur, relative to the Earth.

The Attempt at a Solution

ok now this is from another thread, and i completely understand how she got everyting but the 81! could someone please explain to me how she got the 81.. thts the only part I am lost in..

We assume an object is at the L1 point (the point where the gravitational fields of the two objects cancels out). We will call this object X

r is the radius between the Earth and the Moon
We will call
r1
the point from the center of the Earth to x and
r2
the point from x to the center of the moon
Therefore
(1)
r=r1+r2Using this assumption of the object X we get..

Fg=Gm1xr21
where
m1
is the mass of the earth, and x is the mass of object X
Fg=Gm2xr22
where
m2
is the mass of the moon, and x is the mass of object X

Since we know that, at the point where the object X is situated, the gravitiational pull from both the Earth and the Moon will be equal, we can equate the above two equations getting the following:
(2)
Gm1xr21=Gm2xr22Now, we obtain a ratio between
m1
and
m2
so we can express
m1
in terms of
m2m1m2=81
(Note: I rounded to 81 just to make typing it up here easier...)
Therefore,
m1=81m2Now, going back to equation (2), G and x will cancel out and we replace
r1
with
r−r2
(from equation (1)) leaving us with:
81m2(r−r2)2=m2r22m2
will cancel out:
81(r−r2)2=1r2281=(r−r2)2r22i take the square root of both sides, and put the denominator on the left side
9r2=r−r210r2=rr2=r/10r2=3.84∗104Since
r1=r−r2r1=3.84∗105−3.84∗104r1=3.456∗105

Physics news on Phys.org
alicia113 said:

Homework Statement

The mass of the moon is 7.35x10^22 kg. At some point between Earth and the Moon, the force of Earth's gravitational attraction on an object is canceled by the Moon's force of gravitational attraction. If the distance between the Earth and the moon (center to center) is 3.84x10^5 km, calculate where this will occur, relative to the Earth.

The Attempt at a Solution

ok now this is from another thread, and i completely understand how she got everyting but the 81! could someone please explain to me how she got the 81.. thts the only part I am lost in..

We assume an object is at the L1 point (the point where the gravitational fields of the two objects cancels out). We will call this object X

r is the radius between the Earth and the Moon
We will call
r1
the point from the center of the Earth to x and
r2
the point from x to the center of the moon
Therefore
(1)
r=r1+r2Using this assumption of the object X we get..

Fg=Gm1xr21
where
m1
is the mass of the earth, and x is the mass of object X
Fg=Gm2xr22
where
m2
is the mass of the moon, and x is the mass of object X

Since we know that, at the point where the object X is situated, the gravitiational pull from both the Earth and the Moon will be equal, we can equate the above two equations getting the following:
(2)
Gm1xr21=Gm2xr22Now, we obtain a ratio between
m1
and
m2
so we can express
m1
in terms of
m2m1m2=81
(Note: I rounded to 81 just to make typing it up here easier...)
Therefore,
m1=81m2Now, going back to equation (2), G and x will cancel out and we replace
r1
with
r−r2
(from equation (1)) leaving us with:
81m2(r−r2)2=m2r22m2
will cancel out:
81(r−r2)2=1r2281=(r−r2)2r22i take the square root of both sides, and put the denominator on the left side
9r2=r−r210r2=rr2=r/10r2=3.84∗104Since
r1=r−r2r1=3.84∗105−3.84∗104r1=3.456∗105

Alicia,

your post is very hard to read. Use the x2 button for a square and x2 for an index.

So distance between the Earth and the object at point L1 is r1, the distance between the Moon and the object is r2, the force from the Earth is Gm1x/r12, the force from the Moon is Gm2x/r22, they are equal, so m1r22=m2r12. You can find the mas of Earth in any table about Earth. Google "mass of Earth" if you do not have it on your Physics book. It is 5.9736˙1024 kg. You see that the ratio of the masses of Earth and Moon is about 81. ehild

ehild said:
Alicia,

your post is very hard to read. Use the x2 button for a square and x2 for an index.

So distance between the Earth and the object at point L1 is r1, the distance between the Moon and the object is r2, the force from the Earth is Gm1x/r12, the force from the Moon is Gm2x/r22, they are equal, so m1r22=m2r12.

You can find the mas of Earth in any table about Earth. Google "mass of Earth" if you do not have it on your Physics book. It is 5.9736˙1024 kg. You see that the ratio of the masses of Earth and Moon is about 81.

ehild

Thank you very much and sorry for my horrible computer skills! I'll try that next time !

Related to Gravitational pull with the earth and moon

What is gravitational pull?

Gravitational pull is the force of attraction that exists between two objects due to their mass. The larger the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational pull.

How does the Earth's mass affect its gravitational pull?

The Earth's large mass results in a strong gravitational pull, which is what keeps objects, including the moon, in orbit around it.

Why does the moon orbit around the Earth?

The moon orbits around the Earth because of the Earth's gravitational pull. The gravitational force between the two objects keeps the moon in its orbit.

How is the Earth's gravitational pull different from the moon's?

The Earth's gravitational pull is stronger than the moon's due to its larger mass. However, the moon's gravitational pull still has a significant impact on the Earth, causing tides and affecting the Earth's rotation.

What would happen if the Earth's gravitational pull suddenly disappeared?

If the Earth's gravitational pull suddenly disappeared, all objects on the Earth's surface would float off into space. The moon would also no longer be held in its orbit and would drift away from the Earth.