Gravitational Analog to Maxwell's Eq.

In summary, the conversation discusses a gravitational analog to Maxwell's equations called gravitomagnetism. The equations are restated and compared to the lorentz force analog. There is a discrepancy in the factor of two in front of the JxB term, which raises questions about the derivation and identification of the stress tensor. The WP article provides some clarification, while the dissertation offers a different perspective on the issue.
kcdodd
To start, I came across this wikipedia entry on a gravitational analog to maxwell's equations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitomagnetism

Restating the listed equations:

[tex]\nabla \cdot \mathbf {E_g} + 4\pi G \rho_g = 0[/tex]

[tex]\nabla \cdot \mathbf {B_g} = 0[/tex]

[tex]\nabla \times \mathbf {E_g} + \frac{\partial \mathbf {B_g}}{\partial t} = 0[/tex]

[tex]\nabla \times \mathbf {B_g} - \frac{1}{c^2}\frac{\partial \mathbf {E_g}}{\partial t} + \frac{4\pi G}{c^2}\mathbf{J_g}= 0[/tex]

Now, they also list the lorentz force analog (which I will rewrite as the force density here):

[tex]\mathbf{F} = \rho_g \mathbf{E_g} + \mathbf{J_g}\times 2\mathbf{B_g}[/tex]

That factor of two in front of the magnetic analog is what my question is all about.

When I follow a procedure to derive momentum conservation by manipulating the above equations in the same way done for maxwells equations, I arrive at this:

[tex]\frac{1}{4\pi G} \frac{\partial}{\partial t}(\mathbf{E_g}\times\mathbf{B_g}) + \frac{1}{4\pi G}(\nabla\frac{1}{2}E_g^2 - (\mathbf{E_g}\cdot\nabla)\mathbf{E_g} - (\nabla \cdot \mathbf{E_g})\mathbf{E_g}) + \frac{c^2}{4\pi G}(\nabla\frac{1}{2}B_g^2 - (\mathbf{B_g}\cdot\nabla)\mathbf{B_g} - (\nabla \cdot \mathbf{B_g})\mathbf{B_g}) - \rho_g\mathbf{E_g} - \mathbf{J_g}\times\mathbf{B_g} = 0[/tex]

Where the two messy parts I would naively identify as the divergence of the stress tensor of the gravity field. And the source terms as the Lorentz force analog. However, I do not get a factor of 2 in front of the JxB term, which bothers me.

And, also for completeness, for energy conservation I got:

[tex]\frac{c^2}{4\pi G}\nabla\cdot (\mathbf{E_g}\times \mathbf{B_g}) + \frac{1}{8\pi G}\frac{\partial}{\partial t}(E_g^2 + c^2B_g^2) - \mathbf{J_g}\cdot\mathbf{E_g} = 0[/tex]

Both look pretty much the same as for EM, except the minus signs in front of the sources, and the constants of course. However, the absence of the 2 in the Lorentz force bothers me. I can manipulate the derivation to get a two there, however that throws off the identification of the stress tensor because the derivatives do not factor, and a factor of 2 appears in the constants as well. EG

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi G} \frac{\partial}{\partial t}(\mathbf{E_g}\times\mathbf{B_g}) + \frac{1}{2\pi G}(\nabla\frac{1}{2}E_g^2 - (\mathbf{E_g}\cdot\nabla)\mathbf{E_g} - \frac{1}{2}(\nabla \cdot \mathbf{E_g})\mathbf{E_g}) + \frac{c^2}{2\pi G}(\nabla\frac{1}{2}B_g^2 - (\mathbf{B_g}\cdot\nabla)\mathbf{B_g} - (\nabla \cdot \mathbf{B_g})\mathbf{B_g}) - \rho_g\mathbf{E_g} - \mathbf{J_g}\times2\mathbf{B_g} = 0[/tex]

Any help on understanding the problem will be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The WP article you linked to seems to answer your question, at "In some literature..."

-Ben

If I scale the fields by 1/2 as they suggest to get rid of the 2, then I get 1/2 there when doing the derivation. I don't think its that simple.

I was actually recently looking at the same WP article.

I also found this disertation interesting: http://idea.library.drexel.edu/bitstream/1860/1123/1/Medina_Jairzinho.pdf"

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Gravitational Analog to Maxwell's Eq.

1. What is the Gravitational Analog to Maxwell's Equations?

The Gravitational Analog to Maxwell's Equations, also known as the Gravitoelectromagnetic Equations, is a set of equations that describe the behavior of gravitational fields in a similar way to how Maxwell's Equations describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields.

2. How are the Gravitational Analog and Maxwell's Equations related?

The Gravitational Analog is based on the same mathematical framework as Maxwell's Equations, using similar mathematical operations such as divergence and curl. However, they describe different forces and fields - electromagnetic and gravitational, respectively.

3. What are the main differences between the Gravitational Analog and Maxwell's Equations?

The main difference between the two sets of equations is the type of force and field they describe. Maxwell's Equations describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields and the force of electromagnetism, while the Gravitational Analog describes the behavior of gravitational fields and the force of gravity.

4. How do the Gravitational Analog and Maxwell's Equations impact our understanding of the universe?

Both sets of equations are fundamental to our understanding of the universe and how it operates. Maxwell's Equations have been crucial in the development of modern technology, while the Gravitational Analog helps us understand the behavior of gravity on a larger scale, such as in the study of black holes and the structure of the universe.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Gravitational Analog to Maxwell's Equations?

While Maxwell's Equations have numerous practical applications, such as in the development of electric motors and generators, the Gravitational Analog is still a relatively new concept and has not yet been applied in any practical sense. However, it has the potential to deepen our understanding of gravity and its effects on the universe.