Graphing Real Functions: Limits at Infinity and Complex Numbers Explained

• Thread starter Jadenag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the conversation is discussing graphing functions, finding limits, and solving for the value of x in an equation. In regards to graphing d, there is some confusion about the shape and points on the graph. For g, there is an incorrect graph, and for finding the limit, it is determined that the limit does not exist. There is also a potential typo in the equation for finding the value of x.
Jadenag
dcvg45.jpg

We have to graph these functions where they are real. (no need to graph where complex)

d)
For d I am getting a point at (1,0) and then half a c shaped graph opening towards the right. Is
this correct?
g)
For g I have 0 on the negative side. and a straight line in the first quadrant. :s I am not sure about this one.

ina420.png

I have to find the limit.
I realize this has two different directional limits positive and negative infinity. does that mean the actual limit does not exist?

30tnhg2.jpg

Is this very easy? I mean iim confused do i simply have to plug in underroot etc or is it something much more complicated :S

Attachments

• dcvg45.jpg
    dcvg45.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 275
  • ina420.png
    ina420.png
    3 KB · Views: 358
Physics news on Phys.org
Jadenag said:
dcvg45.jpg

We have to graph these functions where they are real. (no need to graph where complex)

d)
For d I am getting a point at (1,0) and then half a c shaped graph opening towards the right. Is
this correct?
Half correct. What about t<1?

g)
For g I have 0 on the negative side. and a straight line in the first quadrant. :s I am not sure about this one.
No, that is not correct. You should have a "stair step". If x is between 0 and 1, n= 0 so the value of the function is 0. For x between 1 and 2, n= 1 so the value of the function is 1. If x is between 2 and 3, n= 2 so the value of the function is 2, etc.\

ina420.png

I have to find the limit.
I realize this has two different directional limits positive and negative infinity. does that mean the actual limit does not exist?
Yes, any time you have a fraction where the denominator goes to 0 and the numerator does not, the limit does not exist.

30tnhg2.jpg

Is this very easy? I mean iim confused do i simply have to plug in underroot etc or is it something much more complicated :S
It looks to me like there is a serious typographical error in this problem! The point of the exercise is to show that, as x gets closer and closer to 2, f(x) gets closer and closer to 4 and then show that you can use the same argument with the general [itex]\epsilon[/itex] as you did with .01 and .001.

(a) asks "What is the value of [itex]x_1[/itex] such that f(x)= 2+ 0.01". That obviously should be "f(x)= 4+ 0.01"! And (b) should be " "What is the value of [itex]x_1[/itex] such that f(x)= 4- 0.01". f(x)= 4+ 0.01 is the same as [itex]x^2= 4.01[/itex]. Find [itex]x_1[/itex] by taking the square root of both sides.

Related to Graphing Real Functions: Limits at Infinity and Complex Numbers Explained

1. What is a real function?

A real function is a mathematical relationship or rule that maps real numbers to real numbers. It can be represented graphically as a curve on a coordinate plane.

2. What is a limit at infinity?

A limit at infinity is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches positive or negative infinity. It can be thought of as the value that the function approaches as the input gets larger and larger.

3. How do you graph a real function?

To graph a real function, you first need to identify the independent and dependent variables. Then, you can plot points on a coordinate plane by substituting different values for the independent variable and solving for the corresponding dependent variable. Finally, you can connect the points to create a smooth curve that represents the function.

4. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part. They can be written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part, b is the imaginary part, and i is the imaginary unit equal to the square root of -1.

5. How are complex numbers used in graphing real functions?

Complex numbers can be used to represent the input and output values of a function that has complex numbers as its domain or range. They can also be used to graph complex functions, which are functions that have complex numbers as both their input and output.