Good series of books to brush up on math, physics, and computer programming?

Ascendant0
TL;DR Summary: Got my AA with a focus in physics nearly a decade ago. Looking to go back and finish what I started, but need to brush up and looking for good resources to do so?

Looking for resources that are thorough that can help me brush up on calculus 1-3, physics 1-2, and possibly computer programming as well (if I have time before I start). It's been nearly a decade since I did this stuff, so while I remember the general concepts, I desperately need to brush up on the math and application of equations for given problems.

I want something that is thorough in the sense that I don't just learn "do x for y situation," but the *why* of that process as well. I want to know this stuff inside and out. I was a 4.0 previously, and intend on keeping it that way (at least as long as possible until the really difficult content)

I used the "demystified" series to prep me for my AA (I had been out of school for years prior to that). While it was ok, I felt like it left a lot out, just sort of skimmed over really basic material, but didn't get in-depth. Hoping for something more comprehensive, that isn't going to leave me wondering "well why does that work that way?" and such.

I need to pick up on my math from the basics of calculus up, from physics 1 up, and for C++ basics. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
“Brushing up” on Physics 1 and “thorough and deep treatment ” are inconsistent, especially since deep understanding often requires graduate level treatments.
A logical next step would be Halliday and Resnick for physics (any edition is fine; the old ones just don’t have color pictures) and Thomas for calculus and analytic geometry (again any edition). Old, used books can be picked up cheaply.

Likes Ascendant0 and gmax137
Calc 1-3: Paul's notes, and maybe Marsden's series of books for depth. (I'm assuming you don't want something proof based)

Physics 1 and 2: matter and interactions by Chabay and Sherwood (it's a complete textbook)

C++: https://www.learncpp.com/

Likes Ascendant0
marcusl said:
“Brushing up” on Physics 1 and “thorough and deep treatment ” are inconsistent, especially since deep understanding often requires graduate level treatments.
A logical next step would be Halliday and Resnick for physics (any edition is fine; the old ones just don’t have color pictures) and Thomas for calculus and analytic geometry (again any edition). Old, used books can be picked up cheaply.
I get what you are saying. What I meant by "thorough" is a book that doesn't just say "in this case, [x]" without an explanation as to *why* that is the case in that circumstance.

I downloaded the books you suggested, and I actually remember studying Thomas for my calc I course years back. The other physics book is familiar too. They are both great, thank you so much for your help, they are just what I was looking for to brush up on all this!

Likes marcusl
Great! Another great resource for self studying is the Schaum’s Outline series. Each book covers one topic (calculus ,e.g.) with a short summary of each topic followed by problems with their solutions so you check that you’ve mastered the material.