Goldstein's derivation of E-L equations from D'Alembert

In summary: Goldstein arrives at the expression (equation 1.46) \mathbf{v}_i = \frac{d\mathbf{r}_i}{dt} = \sum_k \frac{\partial \mathbf{r}_i}{\partial q_k} \dot{q}_k + \frac{\partial \mathbf{r}_i}{\partial t}where \mathbf{r}_i = \mathbf{r}_i(q_1, \dots, q_n, t) is the position vector of the ith particle, as a function of generalized coordinates q_k and time; here the q_k's are also functions
namphcar22
In his derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equations from D'Alembert's principle, Goldstein arrives at the expression (equation 1.46) [tex]\mathbf{v}_i = \frac{d\mathbf{r}_i}{dt} = \sum_k \frac{\partial \mathbf{r}_i}{\partial q_k} \dot{q}_k + \frac{\partial \mathbf{r}_i}{\partial t}[/tex]

where [itex]\mathbf{r}_i = \mathbf{r}_i(q_1, \dots, q_n, t)[/itex] is the position vector of the [itex]i[/itex]th particle, as a function of generalized coordinates [itex]q_k[/itex] and time; here the [itex]q_k[/itex]'s are also functions of time. We abuse notation since [itex]\mathbf{r}_i[/itex] also represents the embedding of the configuration space of the ith particle in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex]. Later he claims
[itex] \frac{\partial \mathbf{v}_i}{\partial \dot{q}_k} = \frac{\partial \mathbf{r}_i}{\partial q_k}[/itex]. Formally this is true, but is this mathematically rigorous? As defined, [itex]\mathbf{v}_i[/itex] is really just a function of time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As defined, [itex]\mathbf{v}_i[/itex] is really just a function of time.
No, v is defined as the total time derivative of r, where r is a function of all the q's and t.

So here's how I'm thinking about it. [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex] denotes two different things. On one hand, he write [itex]\mathbf{r} = \mathbf{r}(q_1, \dots, q_n, t)[/itex] to denote the embedding of the configuration space in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex]. The [itex]q_i[/itex]'s do not depend on time; the [itex]t[/itex]-dependence signifies a possibly time-dependent embedding of the configuration space, such as in the case of a bead on a rotating wire. However, when he is thinking of a particular path [itex]\gamma(t)[/itex] of the particle in configuration space, he uses the same symbol [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex] and also write [itex] \mathbf{r} = \mathbf{r} \circ \gamma[/itex] to denote the embedding of the path in Euclidean space.

By the chain rule, the total time-derivative of [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex] is [itex]\frac{d\mathbf{r}}{dt} = d\mathbf{r} \circ \frac{d \gamma}{dt}[/itex] where [itex]\mathbf{d\mathbf{r}}[/itex] is the total derivative of [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex] as an embedding of the configuration space.. Note that [itex]\frac{d\mathbf{r}}{dt}[/itex] is still a function of only time, but [itex]d\mathbf{r}[/itex] is a function on the tangent space.

Goldstein is really using [itex]\mathbf{v}[/itex] to denote both [itex]\frac{d\mathbf{r}}{dt}[/itex] and [itex]d\mathbf{r}[/itex]. One one hand, he writes [itex] \mathbf{v} = \frac{d\mathbf{r}}{dt}[/itex]. But when he writes [itex]\frac{\partial \mathbf{v}}{\partial \dot{q}}[/itex], he is using [itex] \mathbf{v}[/itex] in the second manner, as a function on the the tangent space.

Is this rationalization correct?

Last edited:
Yes, that's the usual somwhat sloppy way of physicist's notation.

Us physicists just write r(q1(t), ..., qn(t), t), 'cause we don't know no better.

Related to Goldstein's derivation of E-L equations from D'Alembert

1. What is Goldstein's derivation of E-L equations from D'Alembert?

Goldstein's derivation is a mathematical proof that shows the equivalence between the equations of motion derived from the principle of least action (Euler-Lagrange equations) and those derived from the principle of virtual work (D'Alembert's principle).

2. Why is Goldstein's derivation important?

Goldstein's derivation is important because it provides a deeper understanding of the principles underlying classical mechanics and their connection to each other. It also allows for a more elegant and concise formulation of the equations of motion, making it easier to apply them to various physical systems.

3. How does Goldstein's derivation work?

The derivation involves using Lagrangian mechanics to describe the motion of a system, and then applying the principle of virtual work to the Lagrangian to obtain the equations of motion. This is then compared to the equations derived from the principle of least action, and their equivalence is proven.

4. What are the implications of Goldstein's derivation?

The implications of Goldstein's derivation are that the principles of least action and virtual work are equivalent and can be used interchangeably to describe the motion of a system. This allows for a more versatile and powerful approach to solving problems in classical mechanics.

5. Are there any limitations to Goldstein's derivation?

While Goldstein's derivation is a useful and widely accepted proof, it is limited to classical mechanics and does not account for relativistic or quantum effects. It also assumes that the system under study is conservative and has a well-defined Lagrangian, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.