Given perpendicular vectors A and B, solve A x Y = B for Y

In summary, the solution for Y in the equation A x Y = B for perpendicular vectors A and B is Y = (1/|A|^2)(cA - A x B), where c is a constant. This can be derived by solving the system A x Y = B and A x Y0 = B, and realizing that Y must be a multiple of A in order for A x (Y - Y0) to equal 0. Alternatively, Y can be expressed as a linear combination of A, B, and A x B, with the coefficients found by plugging it into the original equation.
Fifthman

Homework Statement

Consider the equation [itex]$\mathbf{A}\mathbf{\times Y}=$\mathbf{B}$ [/itex] for perpendicular vectors A and B.

Derive a general solution for Y.

Homework Equations

The solution was actually given to us, and I plugged it into make sure it works. (It does.)

[itex]
\textbf{$\mathbf{Y=\frac{1}{\left|A\right|^{2}}}(c\mathbf{A}-\mathbf{A\times}\mathbf{B})$}
[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution, conceptually, is the set of all vectors Y perpendicular to B such that
[itex]
$\left|\mathbf{Y}\right|sin\theta=\mathbf{\frac{|B|}{|A|}}$
[/itex]

As an aside, I tried taking
[itex]
\mathbf{A}\mathbf{\times(A\times B})=\mathbf{A(A}\cdot\mathbf{B)}-\mathbf{B|A|^{2}}
[/itex]
noting that A and B are perpendicular.

The instructor, as a hint, suggested solving the system:

[itex]
$\mathbf{A}\mathbf{\times Y}=$\mathbf{B}$
[/itex]
[itex]
$\mathbf{A}\mathbf{\times Y_{o}}=$\mathbf{B}$
[/itex]

which gave me

[itex]
$\mathbf{A}\mathbf{\times(Y-Y_{o})}=$\mathbf{0}$
[/itex]

What am I missing that could help me tie this together?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Fifthman! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the B and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)

If A x (Y - Y0) = 0, then (Y - Y0) must be a multiple of A. :wink:

(Alternatively, you could have said that Y must be a linear combination of A B and A x B, and just plugged that into the original equation to find the coefficients)

It seems like you are on the right track with your approach. Solving the system of equations by subtracting the second equation from the first is a good method. This will eliminate the A term and leave you with a simpler equation to solve for Y. From there, you can use the fact that A and B are perpendicular to find the magnitude of Y and then solve for the components of Y using the given equation. It might also be helpful to remember that the cross product of two vectors is perpendicular to both of them, so you can use that fact to simplify your equations. Keep working with the equations and see if you can come up with a complete solution. Good luck!

Related to Given perpendicular vectors A and B, solve A x Y = B for Y

1. What does it mean for vectors A and B to be perpendicular?

Perpendicular vectors are two vectors that intersect at a right angle, or 90 degrees. This means that the dot product of the two vectors is equal to 0.

2. What does it mean to solve A x Y = B?

Solving A x Y = B means finding the vector Y that, when cross multiplied with vector A, results in vector B.

3. How can I solve A x Y = B for Y?

To solve A x Y = B for Y, you can use the cross product formula, which states that Y = (A x B) / ||A||, where ||A|| represents the magnitude of vector A.

4. Can I solve A x Y = B for Y if A and B are not perpendicular?

No, the cross product is only defined for perpendicular vectors. If A and B are not perpendicular, there is no unique solution for Y.

5. Can I use the cross product to find the angle between vectors A and B?

Yes, the magnitude of the cross product of two vectors is equal to the product of their magnitudes multiplied by the sine of the angle between them. Therefore, you can use the cross product to find the angle between A and B.