Get Help Determining Internal Forces for Part A

In summary, the first step in determining internal forces for Part A is to draw a free-body diagram of the object or system in question. The three equations used are the equilibrium equations: ΣF<sub>x</sub>=0, ΣF<sub>y</sub>=0, and ΣM=0, which are derived from Newton's laws of motion. To identify unknown internal forces, one must first draw a free-body diagram and apply the equilibrium equations. Some common types of internal forces include tension, compression, shear, and bending moments. These forces can affect the stability and strength of a structure, and it is important to accurately determine them in order to design a safe and stable structure.
princejan7

Homework Statement

http://postimg.org/image/i1r51jolz/

The Attempt at a Solution

can someone help me determine the internal forces I need to work out the stresses for part A?
http://postimg.org/image/c2uv3fwmt/

I can't really get any forces from the diagram I drew?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You almost have it. From an overall force balance, how is F1 related to Pc? Once you establish this, substitute it into the equations you have already developed. This will give you all the rest of the forces.

Chet

Related to Get Help Determining Internal Forces for Part A

1. What is the first step in determining internal forces for Part A?

The first step is to draw a free-body diagram of the object or system in question. This will help visualize all the external forces acting on the object and determine which are relevant to finding the internal forces.

2. What are the three equations used to determine internal forces?

The three equations used are the equilibrium equations: ΣFx=0, ΣFy=0, and ΣM=0. These equations are derived from Newton's laws of motion and are used to solve for unknown internal forces.

3. How do you identify unknown internal forces in a structure?

To identify unknown internal forces, one must first draw a free-body diagram and apply the equilibrium equations. Then, the internal forces can be determined by solving for the unknowns using algebraic methods or with the help of a computer program.

4. What are some common types of internal forces found in structures?

Some common types of internal forces include tension, compression, shear, and bending moments. These forces can be caused by various external loads such as weight, wind, or applied forces.

5. How do internal forces affect the stability and strength of a structure?

Internal forces play a crucial role in the stability and strength of a structure. If the internal forces are not balanced, the structure may experience deformation or failure. It is important to accurately determine internal forces in order to design a safe and stable structure.