Geophyics equation, order of operation

• Thread starter Adam_9333
  • Start date
In summary, to solve for b given the variables (a) = time (seconds), (b) = height (meters), and (c) = velocity (seconds), we use the equation b^2 = a^2 x c^2 / 4 and take the square root of both sides, resulting in b = (a)(c) / 2. This gives us the value of b in meters. It is important to note that in this physical problem, we are only concerned with the positive value for b.
Adam_9333

Homework Statement

solve for b given;
(a) = time (seconds)
(b) = height (meters)
(c) = Velocity (seconds)

Homework Equations

b^2 = a^2 x c^2 / 4

The Attempt at a Solution

If I take the square of the other side will I get? b = (a)(c) / 2

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Adam_9333 said:

Homework Statement

solve for b given;
(a) = time (seconds)
(b) = height (meters)
(c) = Velocity (seconds)

Homework Equations

b^2 = a^2 x c^2 / 4

If I take the square of the other side will I get? b = (a)(c) / 2

Thanks!
Do you mean, if you take the square root of the other side, will you get b = ac / 2 ?

yes exactly

Adam_9333 said:

Homework Statement

(a) = time (seconds)
(b) = height (meters)
(c) = Velocity (seconds)

Homework Equations

(b)^2 = [(a)^2 x (c)^2] / 4

If I take the square of the other side will I get? b = [(a)(c)] / 2

Thanks!
Much better! To solve for b take the square root of both sides, and you get b = ac/2, as you show.

If this were an algebra problem, there would be two solutions:
##b = \pm \frac{ac}{2}##
But since this is a problem of a physical nature, you're probably not concerned with the negative value for b.

BTW, you have many more parentheses than you need. More often, we get people posting here who don't use enough parentheses. Your equation can be written as b2 = a2c2/4. Having too many parentheses is not a problem, though.

Awesome thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

Related to Geophyics equation, order of operation

1. What is the geophysics equation?

The geophysics equation is a mathematical representation of physical laws that govern the behavior of the Earth's surface and subsurface. It is used to model and study processes such as plate tectonics, seismic activity, and geothermal energy.

2. What are the main components of the geophysics equation?

The main components of the geophysics equation include physical constants, variables such as time and space, and mathematical operators such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These components work together to describe the relationships between different physical properties of the Earth.

3. What is the order of operations in the geophysics equation?

The order of operations in the geophysics equation follows the same rules as in any other mathematical equation: parentheses first, then exponents, multiplication and division from left to right, and finally addition and subtraction from left to right. It is important to follow this order to ensure accurate calculations and results.

4. How is the geophysics equation used in scientific research?

The geophysics equation is used in a variety of scientific research fields, such as geology, seismology, and geothermal energy. It allows scientists to make predictions and interpretations about the Earth's behavior and properties, and to develop solutions for real-world problems.

5. Are there different versions of the geophysics equation?

Yes, there are different versions of the geophysics equation that are tailored to specific applications and research fields. For example, there are equations specifically for modeling plate tectonics, while others are designed for studying seismic activity. However, they all share the same basic components and principles.