Geodesics in Modified Euclidean Spaces: Is There a General Statement?

In summary, geodesics in a Euclidean space equipped with a metric tensorlambda(x)*I, where I is the identity matrix, are lines if the metric tensor defines a Riemannian geometry, and are curves if the metric tensor defines a Euclidean geometry.
ledol83
Hi there:

i have a question on geodesics in a Eculidean space equipped with a metric tensor \lambda(x)*I, where I is the identity matrix. Is any general statement that can be made towards the geodesic between two points in this modified space?

My feel is that this space is quite special and should have some good properties but don't know how to address it.

Thanks for any suggestion!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Aren't the geodesics just lines in that case? Incidentally, I don't think that space is curved.

hi, why do you think geodesics are lines?

According to Theodore Shifrin's book on line pp.86, for hyperbolic plane (u,v) equipped with metric tensor 1/v^2*I, the geodesics are not lines.

I was just curious if any analytic relation between the geodesics and the lambda(x) function can be made (except for the PDE thing).

I agree, it should not be called 'curved'.

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:
I thought $\lambda$ was constant here

Providing a buzzword

ledol83 said:
i have a question on geodesics in a Eculidean space equipped with a metric tensor

of form [itex] g_{ab} = \lambda \, \eta_{ab}[/itex], where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is a scalar functon and where [itex]\eta_{ab}[/itex] is the metric tensor of Euclidean three-space, which in a Cartesian chart will appear as

ledol83 said:
the identity matrix. Is any general statement that can be made towards the geodesic between two points in this modified space?

Such a metric tensor is said to define a Riemannian geometry which is conformally related to Euclidean geometry.

ledol83 said:
My feel is that this space is quite special and should have some good properties but don't know how to address it.

It is, but I know more about the Lorentzian case than the Riemannian case so I'll limit myself to mentioning the buzzword "conformally flat".

Last edited:
thanks for your reply.

Admin question, Please suggest: I have access to Sci-Workplace. If I wrote answers
in SW and pasted them here, would the program read it effectively?.Again, sorry
for not knowing to use Tex yet.

DeadWolfe said:
Aren't the geodesics just lines in that case? Incidentally, I don't think that space is curved.

I don't know what assumption we may be making here, but one way of seeing it
(tho, I admit, I think I am missing an assumption here to have a full response)
is that a geodesic in a manifold is a curve with acceleration 0, i.e, a curve whose
covariant derivative is 0, and, using the Euclidean connection , lines, when
parametrized by arc-length, have second derivative zero, i.e, acceleration
zero (d^2/ds^2=d/ds(d/ds)=0 , means derivative of velocity with resp. to
arc-length is zero, i.e, acc. is zero):

Write your line in terms of arc-length (any curve, with few conditions
can be parametrized by arc-length)

L(s)=x_1=a_1+b_1s...x_n=a_n+b_1s , Sum(b_i)^2=1 (bcse. of arc-length par.)

It follows that d^L(s)/ds^2==0

The doubt I have is where we are making use of the Euclidean connection
in here. (which I think is the only connection that is compatible with the
metric dx^2+dy^2 and has zero torsion, i.e, the only Levy-Cine-Cita
connection. I will try to prove this and get back )

Related to Geodesics in Modified Euclidean Spaces: Is There a General Statement?

1. What is a geodesic in a curved space?

A geodesic is the shortest path between two points on a curved surface. In other words, it is the path that minimizes the distance traveled between two points on a curved space. This concept is important in understanding the curvature of space and how objects move within it.

2. How is a geodesic different from a straight line?

In Euclidean space, a straight line is the shortest distance between two points. However, in curved space, the shortest distance between two points is a geodesic, which can appear curved or bent due to the curvature of space. This is because the concept of straightness changes in a curved space.

3. Can a geodesic ever be a closed curve?

No, a geodesic cannot be a closed curve. This is because a closed curve would require the geodesic to return to its starting point, which would result in a longer distance traveled than a straight line between the two points. Geodesics are always open curves that connect two points.

4. How does the curvature of space affect geodesics?

The curvature of space determines the shape and path of geodesics. In a positively curved space, geodesics will appear to converge towards each other, while in a negatively curved space, geodesics will appear to diverge from each other. The amount of curvature also affects the length of geodesics, with more curved spaces resulting in longer geodesics.

5. What are some real-life applications of geodesics in curved space?

Geodesics in curved space have several practical applications, such as in navigation systems, mapping and surveying, and space travel. For example, geodesics are used in GPS systems to determine the shortest path between two points on Earth's curved surface. They are also important in understanding the motion of objects in gravitational fields, such as planets orbiting around a star.