General equations for powering a model aircraft

In summary, powering a model aircraft involves using general equations that take into account the aircraft's weight, wing area, and air density to determine the necessary power output. The most commonly used equation is the power loading formula, which calculates the power required to maintain level flight. Other important equations include the lift equation, which determines the amount of lift needed for flight, and the drag equation, which calculates the amount of drag that must be overcome by the power output. These general equations are crucial for building and operating model aircraft, ensuring that they have the necessary power to fly safely and efficiently.
ammtst
I was looking at building a fpv plane. I was wondering if anyone could help me with the basic equations i would need for motor sizing etc. Just how I would go about finding power required. Looking at about a loaded weight of about 5kg wingspan 2.5-3m. Not sure of speed maybe around 40-70kph.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

fpv = "First Person View"?

When you look at model airplanes that are around the size you want to build, what size engines do they typically use?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

fpv = "First Person View"?

When you look at model airplanes that are around the size you want to build, what size engines do they typically use?
yeah first person view. Nothing really around that size and that weight range that's all. And most are using an electric was thinking of using a petrol. Like could i use a direct ratio in terms of weight to power and just scale up or down as required. Or do I need to go through dimensional analysis and all that stuff

As a first approximation, you can scale down the power required for a 'big' airplane. We may assume that the weight scales as L3 and that the airspeed scales as L1, so the power required would scale as L4. The glide ratio L/D is assumed to be equal, which may not be correct, due to the Reynolds number being different.

If your model is built -for example- at 1/6 scale, and the 'big' airplane needs 1000 hp, the power required for your model would be 1000 x (1/6)4 = 0,77 hp

A lot of model aircraft fly faster than scale speed, and typically, they have a higher power to weight or drag ratio than a full scale aircraft. At the upper end of the watts per pound range, you have models than can hover and climb while vertically oriented.

Related to General equations for powering a model aircraft

1. What are the general equations used to power a model aircraft?

The general equations used to power a model aircraft include the lift equation, thrust equation, and drag equation. These equations are used to calculate the forces acting on the aircraft and determine the power needed to overcome these forces.

2. How is the lift equation used in powering a model aircraft?

The lift equation, also known as the Bernoulli's principle, is used to calculate the lift force generated by the wings of the aircraft. This force is essential for keeping the aircraft in the air and is directly related to the speed and shape of the wings.

3. What is the thrust equation and how is it used in powering a model aircraft?

The thrust equation is used to calculate the forward force produced by the aircraft's engine or propeller. This force is necessary to overcome drag and maintain the aircraft's speed and altitude. The thrust equation takes into account factors such as engine power, air density, and aircraft speed.

4. What role does the drag equation play in powering a model aircraft?

The drag equation is used to calculate the drag force acting on the aircraft as it moves through the air. This force is caused by air resistance and must be overcome by the thrust force to maintain the aircraft's speed. The drag equation takes into account factors such as air density, airspeed, and the shape of the aircraft.

5. Are there any other important equations used in powering a model aircraft?

Yes, there are other important equations used in powering a model aircraft, such as the weight and balance equation. This equation is used to determine the aircraft's center of gravity and ensure that it is properly balanced for safe and stable flight. Additionally, the fuel consumption equation is used to calculate the amount of fuel needed for a specific flight based on the aircraft's weight, speed, and distance.