Galaxy Rotation Curves and Mass Discrepancy

In summary, the Mass Discrepancy-Acceleration Relation is a function of centripetal acceleration, defined as the ratio of gradients of total and baryonic gravitational potential. It can be represented by the inverse of the equation ##\mu(x) = \frac{x}{\sqrt{1+x^2}}##, which is ##D(x)=\frac x{\sqrt{1-x^2}}##. However, it is not clear how to substitute ##\mu(x)## for ##D(x)##.
redtree
I apologize for the simple question, but I am trying to understand the Mass Discrepancy-Acceleration Relation and its relationship to ##\mu(x)## (from https://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/0403610.pdf).

The mass discrepancy, defined as the ratio of the gradients of the total to baryonic gravitational potential, can be described by a simple function of centripetal acceleration:

##D(x) = \frac{\Phi'}{\Phi'_{b}} ##

Where ##x = a/a0## and ##D(x)## is the inverse of the following equation:

##\mu(x) = \frac{x}{\sqrt{1+x^2}}##

It's not clear to me how ##D(x)## is the inverse of the equation ##\mu(x) = \frac{x}{\sqrt{1+x^2}}##.

For example, how would one substitute ##\mu(x)## for ##D(x)##?

Space news on Phys.org
redtree said:
I apologize for the simple question, but I am trying to understand the Mass Discrepancy-Acceleration Relation and its relationship to ##\mu(x)## (from https://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/0403610.pdf).

The mass discrepancy, defined as the ratio of the gradients of the total to baryonic gravitational potential, can be described by a simple function of centripetal acceleration:

##D(x) = \frac{\Phi'}{\Phi'_{b}} ##

Where ##x = a/a0## and ##D(x)## is the inverse of the following equation:

##\mu(x) = \frac{x}{\sqrt{1+x^2}}##

It's not clear to me how ##D(x)## is the inverse of the equation ##\mu(x) = \frac{x}{\sqrt{1+x^2}}##.

For example, how would one substitute ##\mu(x)## for ##D(x)##?
If it means merely that D() is the inverse function of ##\mu(x)## then that would be ##D(x)=\frac x{\sqrt{1-x^2}}##.

Related to Galaxy Rotation Curves and Mass Discrepancy

1. What is a galaxy rotation curve and why is it important?

A galaxy rotation curve is a graph that shows the rotational velocity of stars and gas in a galaxy as a function of their distance from the center. It is important because it can provide information about the distribution of mass within a galaxy and can help us understand the dynamics of galaxy formation and evolution.

2. What is the mass discrepancy problem in galaxy rotation curves?

The mass discrepancy problem refers to the observation that the rotational velocity of stars and gas in galaxies does not match the predicted rotational velocity based on the visible mass (stars and gas) in the galaxy. This suggests that there must be an additional, unseen component of mass in galaxies, often referred to as dark matter.

3. How do scientists measure galaxy rotation curves?

Scientists measure galaxy rotation curves by observing the Doppler shift of spectral lines from stars and gas in a galaxy. The Doppler shift indicates the velocity of the object along the line of sight, which can be used to calculate the rotational velocity of the object.

4. What are some possible explanations for the mass discrepancy in galaxy rotation curves?

There are several proposed explanations for the mass discrepancy in galaxy rotation curves. One is the presence of dark matter, which makes up about 85% of the total mass in the universe. Another is that our understanding of gravity may be incomplete and require modification at large scales. Some scientists also suggest that the discrepancy could be due to the effects of gas outflows and inflows within galaxies.

5. How do galaxy rotation curves support the existence of dark matter?

Galaxy rotation curves provide strong evidence for the existence of dark matter. The observed rotational velocities in galaxies can only be explained by the presence of additional mass, which cannot be accounted for by visible matter. This additional mass is consistent with the predictions of dark matter models, providing further support for its existence.