Future physics major looking for advice

In summary: A prospective physics major should be familiar with the basic concepts of classical mechanics, wave motion, optics, and electricity and magnetism. Beyond that, they should be prepared to learn more as they go along, based on their interests and abilities.What's the first question?In summary, this person is starting college in a month and is worried that taking math classes may disadvantage them for graduate studies. They plan to take high Algebra, precalculus, and trigonometry and are concerned that if they have already mastered the material, they can skip to the next class.
drifterinflux
*I just realized I posted this to the wrong topic. Oops*

[Note from mentor: moved to Academic Guidance. In the future, if you think you've posted in the wrong place, simply hit the "Report" button/link and tell us.]

I'm starting college in 1 month, I'm so excited! My plan is to go in undeclared and spend some time taking the necessary math pre-requisites before declaring a physics major. My first question is: Will spending (more than likely) a few semesters taking math classes work against me for potential graduate studies? Math is obviously related to my future major, but this does kind of worry me.

I actually really like math - however, I dropped out of high school my sophomore year and before that, had some terrible experiences with instructors. On the one hand, I've been renting workbooks and textbooks from the library to familiarize myself with forgotten concepts and even work through understanding new ones. On the other hand, I really enjoy the idea of being properly evaluated for the work I do, in a classroom environment.

I plan to start with high Algebra, then precalculus and trigonometry.

And for the second question: What is an incoming physics major expected to know about the subject? I've read several pop-sci books and glanced through a few college-level textbooks. I also bought the Feynman Lectures...only to find out they're free online -.-

Oh, and if anyone has any suggestions for reading material on Classical Physics, suggest away!
This is a topic that I find kind of boring, for whatever reason. I mean I appreciate it and understand its significance, but still.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this and any advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Taking a bunch of math to catch up in college is what you NEED to do. Almost everything you do in physics is based off of math.

Once you catch up you will be fine.

And no, no one will penalize you down the road for taking college math courses, prerequisite or not.

You should know some of the basics going in, but you will just learn most of it as you go. Basics like a object in motion tends to stay in motion...object at rest tends to stay at rest. Maybe know a little about friction...etc. Doesn't really matter, what you don't know you will learn just like everything up to this point...and beyond this point.
If you know a lot more than those basics, great. Either way, you are going to have to work extremely hard to get your degree.

Thank you! I'm glad it won't be counted against me in any way. I just found out that if I'm taking a math course and feel I've already mastered it, I can take an exam and move to the next one. So that helps.

drifterinflux said:
What is an incoming physics major expected to know about the subject?

At most colleges/universities in the US, the "freshman physics" course for prospective majors does not assume you have taken a physics course in high school. It obviously helps if you've studied physics in high school, because then the material isn't completely new to you, but it's not essential.

Hi there,

First of all, congratulations on starting college and pursuing a physics major! It's great that you are taking the time to familiarize yourself with math concepts before officially declaring your major. To answer your first question, taking math classes before declaring a physics major will not work against you for potential graduate studies. In fact, having a strong foundation in math is crucial for success in physics. So, don't worry about it and continue to work on your math skills.

As for your second question, as an incoming physics major, you are not expected to know everything about the subject. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of key concepts and principles. It's great that you have read some pop-sci books and college-level textbooks, as well as the Feynman Lectures. I would also recommend familiarizing yourself with the fundamentals of classical physics, such as Newton's laws of motion, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.

In terms of reading material, there are many great resources available online and in textbooks. Some suggestions for classical physics include "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, and "Thermal Physics" by Charles Kittel and Herbert Kroemer.

Lastly, don't worry if you don't find classical physics as interesting as other topics in physics. As you progress in your studies, you will have the opportunity to explore different areas of physics and find what truly interests you. Keep an open mind and enjoy the journey!

Best of luck in your studies.

Sincerely,

A fellow scientist

Related to Future physics major looking for advice

1. What courses should I take in high school to prepare for a future in physics?

Some recommended courses to take in high school for a future in physics include advanced mathematics (such as calculus and trigonometry), physics, chemistry, and computer science. These courses will help build a strong foundation for understanding the principles of physics.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong mathematical background to major in physics?

Yes, a strong mathematical background is essential for success in physics. Physics is a highly mathematical subject and requires a deep understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and other advanced mathematical concepts.

3. What skills and qualities are important for a career in physics?

Some important skills and qualities for a career in physics include critical thinking, problem-solving, analytical skills, attention to detail, and a strong mathematical background. Additionally, having a curiosity for how the natural world works and a passion for learning are also important qualities for a physicist.

4. What kind of job opportunities are available for physics majors?

Physics majors have a wide range of job opportunities available to them, including research positions in academia, government, or private industry. They can also work in fields such as engineering, data analysis, finance, and education. Additionally, a physics major can also pursue further education in graduate school to specialize in a specific area of physics.

5. What advice do you have for someone considering a major in physics?

My advice would be to take advantage of all the resources available to you, such as professors, tutors, and study groups, to fully grasp the material. Additionally, don't be afraid to ask questions and seek out opportunities for research experience or internships to gain practical knowledge in the field. Lastly, stay curious and keep an open mind, as the field of physics is constantly evolving and there is always more to learn.