Fundamental Theorem of Algebra: Proof

In summary, the conversation discusses a video demonstrating an elementary proof of the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra (FTA). The participants also mention using this approach in complex analysis, but note that it is not rigorous and is only used for intuition. They then proceed to prove Liouville's theorem and show how FTA can be derived from it. One participant mentions that they believe the proof can be made rigorous using knowledge of continuity and convergence of sequences.
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2023 Award
TL;DR Summary
Elementary proof of FTA
I found this video showing an elementary proof of the FTA.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and nuuskur
Mathematics news on Phys.org
We were shown this approach in complex analysis, but it was said this argument is not rigorous and served only to give us an intuition, so we proceeded to prove the Liouville's theorem (bounded + entire implies constant iirc) and proved FTA as a consequence.

I haven't thought about this theorem for a while, I think the idea is correct and we should easily be able to make it rigorous, I mean I didn't see any leap of faith given everything we know about continuity and convergence of sequences etc. I might be missing something, though.

Likes Klystron and PeroK

Related to Fundamental Theorem of Algebra: Proof

What is the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra?

The Fundamental Theorem of Algebra states that every non-constant polynomial with complex coefficients has at least one complex root. In other words, a polynomial of degree n will have exactly n complex roots, counting multiplicity.

Who proved the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra?

The Fundamental Theorem of Algebra was first proved by mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss in 1799. However, there have been many different proofs of this theorem since then, each using different techniques and approaches.

Why is the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra important?

The Fundamental Theorem of Algebra is important because it helps us understand the behavior of polynomial equations and their roots. It is also a fundamental result in mathematics and has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

What are some common misconceptions about the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra?

One common misconception is that the theorem only applies to real numbers. However, the theorem specifically states that it applies to complex numbers. Another misconception is that the theorem guarantees the existence of real roots for polynomial equations, but this is not always the case.

What are some common techniques used to prove the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra?

Some common techniques used to prove the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra include complex analysis, topology, and linear algebra. Other techniques such as the use of Galois theory and algebraic geometry have also been used to prove this theorem.