Full course of Vector Analysis vs Griffith Text self study?

In summary: However, if he is not, I would recommend looking into other texts that are more rigorous. This is not to say that Griffith's is not a good book, it is, but it is not the only book that one should read.In summary, a full course on vector analysis is not necessary for a senior in Fall. Depending on what he is trying to prepare for, he may or may not need to have this course.
Lagraaaange
Senior in Fall. Is a full course on vector analysis necessary: Stockes theorem, Green Theorem, differential forms, etc.
I feel like Griffith's Electrodynamics gives a sufficient overview of Vector analysis in Chapter 1 covering all you need. I've only taken the required Calc 1 - 3 sequence + odes and find I learn most of my math "on the spot" otherwise it goes out the door but many encourage me to take as much math as possible. I rather focus on my upper levels this semester: Atomic Physics and Thermal but I'd like your take on it.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Didn't your Calculus III course cover partial derivatives, div, grad, curl, and surface, volume and line integrals? If it did, then you should be fine with Griffiths. The material in chapter 1 (or is it 2?) is intended as a review.

If you are gauging whether you are prepared or not based upon Griffith's Electrodynamics, I suspect NOT. While Griffith's is an okay book, it is not rigorous or deep. In fact, it is considered a fluff book in comparison to many others, especially Jackson. Look over a copy of Jackson's and try to do a few of the easier problems. If you succeed, I am probably wrong in your case, and you are adequately prepared to blow off any further study.

CalcNerd said:
If you are gauging whether you are prepared or not

...which of course depends on what he's trying to prepare for. Based on a hasty reading, I assumed he was trying to prepare for Griffiths E&M. If he's looking to prepare mathematically for grad school, that's another matter!

CalcNerd said:
If you are gauging whether you are prepared or not based upon Griffith's Electrodynamics, I suspect NOT. While Griffith's is an okay book, it is not rigorous or deep. In fact, it is considered a fluff book in comparison to many others, especially Jackson. Look over a copy of Jackson's and try to do a few of the easier problems. If you succeed, I am probably wrong in your case, and you are adequately prepared to blow off any further study.

This is stupendously terrible advice. OP please don't heed this. Griffiths is an excellent and deep text. Anyone who considers Jackson deep has clearly never done Jackson.

The calculus sequence you have taken should be enough. Vector calculus is an easy enough subject that the review in chapter 1 will suffice if you've already finished the calculus sequence.

Likes Student100 and micromass
WannabeNewton said:
This is stupendously terrible advice. OP please don't heed this. Griffiths is an excellent and deep text. Anyone who considers Jackson deep has clearly never done Jackson.

Jackson, making you question your entire path in life in one course.

Likes jtbell, CalcNerd and jasonRF
Mea culpa. I certainly came out harsh with my advice. If I he is preparing for Griffith's E&M as jtbell surmises, he is prepared.

Related to Full course of Vector Analysis vs Griffith Text self study?

1. What is the difference between a full course of Vector Analysis and self-study using Griffith's Text?

A full course of Vector Analysis typically covers all the essential topics and concepts related to vector analysis, while self-study using Griffith's Text may provide a more focused and independent approach to learning. The full course may also include practical applications and exercises, whereas self-study may require the individual to seek out additional resources for practice.

2. Which approach is better for learning Vector Analysis?

The approach that works best for an individual may vary. Some may prefer the structure and guidance of a full course, while others may thrive with the flexibility and self-paced nature of self-study. It is important to consider personal learning styles and goals when deciding which approach to take.

3. Can self-study using Griffith's Text replace a full course in Vector Analysis?

It depends on the individual's level of dedication and understanding. Self-study using Griffith's Text may provide a comprehensive understanding of vector analysis, but it may not cover all the topics and applications that a full course would. It is recommended to supplement self-study with additional resources and practice to ensure a thorough understanding.

4. Are there any advantages to taking a full course in Vector Analysis?

A full course may provide a structured and comprehensive approach to learning, with opportunities for hands-on practice and feedback from an instructor. It may also provide a deeper understanding of the subject matter and access to additional resources and support. Additionally, taking a full course may also provide tangible proof of knowledge and skills for future academic or career opportunities.

5. How can I determine which approach is best for me?

It is important to consider personal learning styles, goals, and resources when deciding on an approach for learning Vector Analysis. You may also want to research the specific course and textbook being used to gain a better understanding of the content and teaching methods. It may also be helpful to speak with an academic advisor or someone who has experience with both approaches to get their perspective.