Frictional Force and acceleration

In summary, the conversation involved determining the frictional force on a cart given the applied force and acceleration, and also finding the mass of the cart through the use of Newton's 2nd law and a free body diagram. The final conclusion was that the mass of the cart is 3.23 kg.
karajo
Homework Statement

The force applied to a cart is 10.5 N. The cart now moves toward the right at an acceleration also toward the right of 1.75m/s2. What are the magnitude and direction of the frictional force? The attempt at a solution
I found that my mass is 6kg. I have F, m, and a, but I am unsure how to find the frictional force.

Physics news on Phys.org
What forces act on the cart? Draw yourself a free body diagram, then apply Newton's 2nd law.

karajo said:
I found that my mass is 6kg.
How did you determine the mass? I assume is was given elsewhere in the problem?

Doc Al said:
How did you determine the mass? I assume is was given elsewhere in the problem?
I found mass by using F=ma
Force=10.5N
acceleration=1.75m/s2

I drew a free body diagram with Force in the positive direction, friction pulling the negative way, and acceleration in the positive direction. Also the Normal force going up and mass*gravity going down.

karajo said:
I found mass by using F=ma
Force=10.5N
acceleration=1.75m/s2
That won't work. For one thing, Newton's 2nd law should be written as ##\Sigma F = ma##, where ##\Sigma F## stands for the net force. In this problem, all you know are the applied force and resulting acceleration.

You need to be given the mass; there's not enough information to figure it out. Make sure you've posted the full problem, exactly as it was given.
karajo said:
I drew a free body diagram with Force in the positive direction, friction pulling the negative way, and acceleration in the positive direction. Also the Normal force going up and mass*gravity going down.
Good.

Oh, I have a mass of 3.23 kg for the cart.

karajo said:
Oh, I have a mass of 3.23 kg for the cart.
That makes more sense. Now you can figure out the net force.

Related to Frictional Force and acceleration

1. What is frictional force?

Frictional force is a type of force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with another object or surface. It is caused by the microscopic roughness of the surfaces and the interlocking of the surface irregularities.

2. How does frictional force affect acceleration?

Frictional force acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, so it can decrease the acceleration of an object. This is because some of the force that could be used to accelerate the object is being used to overcome the resistance caused by friction.

3. What factors affect the amount of frictional force?

The amount of frictional force depends on the type of surfaces in contact, the normal force pushing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces. The type of motion, such as sliding or rolling, also affects the amount of frictional force.

4. How is frictional force related to kinetic and static friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it is already in motion, while static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it. Frictional force is the general term for both of these types of friction and is dependent on the same factors.

5. Can frictional force ever be beneficial?

Yes, frictional force can be beneficial in certain situations. It allows us to walk without slipping, drive a car without skidding, and hold objects without dropping them. It also helps to stop moving objects and control their speed. However, too much frictional force can also be harmful and cause wear and tear on objects.