Frequency of small oscillations about equilibrium point.

In summary, to find the equilibrium point and frequency of small oscillations for a particle of mass m moving in one dimension under the potential V(x)=(-12/x)+(x^-12), you can use a parabolic approximation of the potential at the equilibrium point x=1. By fitting the parabola to the potential function and matching its first and second derivatives, you can find the SHO potential which best approximates the oscillatory behavior near the equilibrium. From there, you can use Hooke's law to find the frequency and other necessary values.
bjw1311
A particle of mass m moves in one dimension subject to the potential:
V(x)=(-12/x)+(x^-12)
Find the equilibrium point and the frequency of small oscillations about that point.

I think I've found the equilibrium point 'a', but using the formula V'(a)=0, and i got the answer a=1.

However, I am completely stuck on finding the frequency, I've found the Lagrangian and hence the equation of motion, but then don't know what to do.

any help much appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, you don't need the equations of motion to find the frequency of small oscillations.

Here's what you need to do:

At x=1, there's a stable equilibrium. For very small oscillations, it will approximate a SHO. So all you need to do is fit a parabola to that point by:

1. Putting the equilibrium point of the parabola at the (x=1, y=?) point.
2. Making the first derivative of the parabola equal the derivative at the point (of course, this has already been done for you by using a parabola).
3. Making the second derivative match the second derivative of your potential function there.

So what's the equation of a parabola?

y = ax^2 + bx + c
y' = 2ax + b
y'' = 2a

So all you need to do is to make sure that y(1) = V(1), y'(1) = V'(1), and y''(1) = V''(1).

Then simply realize that F = -kx by Hooke's law, and that F = -y'. So whatever the coefficient on the 'x' term in your y' happens to be, that equals k. From that and the mass m, it should a straightforward exercise to find everything else you could want.

ive managed to work out what you've said but i don't understand why?

sorry,
i don't understand why you need to fit the parabola at that point, and i don't really get how you do it, do you equate the V's and y's to find the values of a, b and c? and how does this help?
and i don't see how to use the info to find the oscillations :(

forget it! I've figured it out! temporary blank.

thanks very much for your help.

The idea is that for small displacements from a stable equilibrium, all oscillations look like simple harmonic oscillations.

Simple harmonic oscillations are described by a parabolic potential well.

So by finding the parabola which best approximates your potential function V at the point of stable equilibrium, you will find the SHO potential which best approximates the oscillatory behavior near the equilibrium.

To find the best-fit parabola at your point, you have to make it match your V in its zeroth, first, and second derivatives; you have to find the 2nd order Taylor polynomial for the potential function V expanded around the point of equilibrium.

The system of equations I suggested fits the parabola.

Once you have the parabola for the SHO, it's easy to use Hooke's law to find k, and once you have k and m, you can easily find everything else.

Related to Frequency of small oscillations about equilibrium point.

1. What is the frequency of small oscillations about an equilibrium point?

The frequency of small oscillations about an equilibrium point is the rate at which a system will oscillate, or vibrate, around its equilibrium position. It is typically measured in Hertz (Hz) or radians per second (rad/s).

2. How is the frequency of small oscillations determined?

The frequency of small oscillations is determined by the physical characteristics of the system, such as the mass and stiffness of the object, as well as the surrounding environment. It can also be calculated using the equation f = √(k/m), where f is the frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass.

3. What happens to the frequency of small oscillations if the mass is increased?

If the mass is increased, the frequency of small oscillations will decrease. This is because a larger mass will require more force to move, resulting in a slower oscillation.

4. How does the frequency of small oscillations change with changes in the spring constant?

The frequency of small oscillations is directly proportional to the square root of the spring constant. This means that as the spring constant increases, the frequency will also increase.

5. Can the frequency of small oscillations be affected by external factors?

Yes, the frequency of small oscillations can be affected by external factors such as damping, external forces, and changes in the environment. Damping, or the dissipation of energy, can decrease the frequency of oscillations. External forces, such as friction or wind, can also affect the frequency. Changes in the environment, such as temperature or pressure, can also alter the frequency of small oscillations.