Frequency of motor power supply 60 Hz versus 50 Hz

In summary, if a 60 Hz equipment needs to be run off a 50 Hz power supply (3 phase, AC) there are several options available, including changing motors, using a VFD, or reducing voltage. If the equipment is not suitable for reduced frequency it will hum and get very hot.
rollingstein
Gold Member
If a 60 Hz equipment needs to be run off a 50 Hz power supply (3 phase, AC) what are typical options?

One brute force approach is to simply change motors. But I was wondering if a VFD / thyristor or some such might work?

This is medium sized equipment with rating of ~5 kW.

As an aside, were someone to accidentally cross connect a 60 Hz rated motor to a 50 Hz supply would the results be disastrous? Is the risk symmetric? i.e. A 50 Hz motor connected to a 60 Hz supply?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

If you check the specs of the device, odds are it says it will run just fine on a 50hz supply, just at reduced performance.

Motor designed to 60 Hz will run on 50 Hz, but (as russ said, at reduced efficiency):
- reduced RPM (by 20%),
- reduced output power (by 20%, as it is function of RPM),
- reduced cooling (may be critical),
- inceased flux in core (increased losses, may be critical) -> can deal with it by reducing voltage.

It would be much safer to run 50 Hz motor on 60 Hz.

All in all.. it may be dangerous to motor. Some VFD is a good idea I think.

Thanks! 20% rpm drop we can probably tolerate. It goes into an industrial spin dryer.

I assume we're talking about an old fashioned induction motor, not one of these newfangled appliance motors that's driven by a microcomputer generating three phase... (Woe is me -- I can no longer fix wife's washing machine!)

Check nameplate of motor and see if it gives two different voltages for 50hz and 60 hz.
A 50 hz motor needs more iron laminations for same voltage than does a 60 hz motor. A high quality motor could be designed to run on either by simply including the extra iron. But one might want to adjust pulley diameter to restore drum speed.

If the motor is not suitable for reduced frequency it will hum and get very hot. As an old engineer from Tennessee put it, "If it'll fry spit it's in trouble". So give it the feel test after a few minutes of operation.

If it's "one of those newfangled ones" the computer is already a VFD that's probably oblivious to line frequency. But that's a guess from afar. I'm sure you can tell by looking at it.

"One experiment is worth a thousand expert opinions".

Related to Frequency of motor power supply 60 Hz versus 50 Hz

What is the difference between 60 Hz and 50 Hz power supply?

The difference between 60 Hz and 50 Hz power supply is the frequency of the alternating current (AC) that is used to power electrical devices. 60 Hz means the current alternates 60 times per second, while 50 Hz means the current alternates 50 times per second. This difference in frequency can affect the performance of certain electrical devices.

Which countries use 60 Hz and which use 50 Hz power supply?

The standard frequency of power supply varies from country to country. In general, countries in North and South America, most of Asia, and parts of Africa use 60 Hz power supply. On the other hand, countries in Europe, Australia, and parts of Asia use 50 Hz power supply.

Why do some countries use 60 Hz and others use 50 Hz power supply?

The difference in frequency of power supply can be traced back to the history of electricity development in different parts of the world. In the late 1800s, the United States and some other countries adopted 60 Hz as their standard frequency, while Europe and many other countries chose 50 Hz. This was mostly due to the differences in the development of power systems and the availability of resources.

What are the effects of using the wrong frequency power supply?

Using the wrong frequency power supply can have negative effects on electrical devices. For example, using 60 Hz devices on a 50 Hz power supply can cause them to run slower and produce less power. Similarly, using 50 Hz devices on a 60 Hz power supply can cause them to run faster and produce more power, which can damage the devices. It can also cause flickering lights, overheating, and other electrical issues.

Can electrical devices be used interchangeably between 60 Hz and 50 Hz power supply?

In most cases, electrical devices are designed to work with either 60 Hz or 50 Hz power supply. However, it is important to check the specifications of the device before using it on a different frequency power supply. Some devices, such as motors and clocks, may be specifically designed for a certain frequency and may not work properly on a different frequency. It is always best to use devices with the recommended frequency for optimal performance and safety.