Free Energy calculation in Monte Carlo simulations

In summary, the conversation discusses a classical MC simulation of helimagnets and the attempt to calculate the experimentally measured phase diagram. The simulation is able to reproduce a large piece of the phase diagram but suffers from a hysteresis effect. The energy of the state that should not be realized at the point of interest is slightly smaller than the energy of the desired state. The speaker is looking for a method to calculate the free energies of the two states at a given temperature. A suggested starting point is the paper "Simulation techniques for calculating free energies" by M. Müller and J.J. dePablo.
kaesekuchen86
Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a classical MC simulation of helimagnets and I try to calculate the experimentally measured phase diagram.

Up to now I am able to reproduce a large piece of the phase diagram by using a single site Metropolis update and simulated annealing. Unfortunately the simulated annealing suffers a hysteresis effect: For low temperatures, the system should undergo a first order transition from one ordered state A to another ordered state B but it does not...
These two ordered states are largely separated in phase space in the sense that "flipping one spin here and one spin there" is not enough to drive the transition...
I also tried to reach the point of interest in the phase diagram by taking a different way (lowering magnetic field at constant temperature) which succeeded in the sense that I found the desired state (that is measured in experiments), hence I assume I have indeed a hysteresis problem.

I compared the energy of the two states and found that the energy of the state which should not be realized at the point of interest is slightly (about <1%) smaller than the energy of the state which should be realized at this point. But since energy is not all, I would like to calculate the free energies F = E - TS of the two states and compare them.

Does anyone know whether this is possible and how it can be done?

I am very sure that my Code is correct (despite the problem mentioned above) since i did a lot of testing.

Thanks in advance

Here is s sketch of the phase diagrams:

It should look like:
Code:
H
^
|   
|-----------------------
|  phase B | phaseA |
|              |           |
---------------------------->T

and in my calculation it looks like:
Code:
H
^
|
|-----------------------
|        phaseA        |
|                         |
---------------------------->T

Technology news on Phys.org
Calculating (relative) free energies is a fairly standard task in the simulation of phase transitions. I do not have the time to really think about your concrete problem, but maybe the following paper is a helpful starting point for you: Simulation techniques for calculating free energies, M. Müller and J.J. dePablo (http://www.springerlink.com/content/v43112678811n031/ ) - but note the techniques discussed therein may be more advanced than what you are looking for.

thank you for the hint. Unfortunately the paper does not mention my problem:

I have two states and want to compare their free free energies at a given temperature.

Does anyone know a (MC) method for that?

Related to Free Energy calculation in Monte Carlo simulations

1. What is the purpose of performing free energy calculations in Monte Carlo simulations?

The purpose of performing free energy calculations in Monte Carlo simulations is to estimate the thermodynamic properties of a system, such as the free energy, entropy, and enthalpy, without the need for expensive and time-consuming experiments.

2. How are free energy calculations performed in Monte Carlo simulations?

In Monte Carlo simulations, free energy calculations are typically performed using various statistical mechanics methods, such as the umbrella sampling or thermodynamic integration techniques. These methods involve sampling the potential energy of the system at different states and then using this data to calculate the free energy difference between the states of interest.

3. What are the main challenges in performing free energy calculations in Monte Carlo simulations?

The main challenges in performing free energy calculations in Monte Carlo simulations include accurately sampling the potential energy landscape of the system, choosing appropriate simulation parameters, and dealing with the convergence issues and statistical errors that arise from finite sampling of the system.

4. What are some applications of free energy calculations in Monte Carlo simulations?

Free energy calculations in Monte Carlo simulations are commonly used in fields such as drug discovery, materials design, and protein folding studies. They can also be used to investigate phase transitions, chemical reactions, and other thermodynamic processes in various systems.

5. How can one validate the results of free energy calculations in Monte Carlo simulations?

The results of free energy calculations in Monte Carlo simulations can be validated through comparison with experimental or other theoretical data, as well as by performing multiple independent simulations and comparing the results. Additionally, convergence tests and analysis of statistical errors can also provide insights into the reliability of the calculated free energy values.