Free body diagram : Compression and Tension

In summary, the conversation discusses P, Q, R, and S, which are light rods attached to a wall with a force W acting at a specific point in the figure. The question is whether compression or tension is acting on each rod, and it is suggested to use a Free body diagram and proper explanation to determine this. The conversation then moves on to discussing how to resolve W in order to have a force in the direction of P and parallel to R. It is concluded that P is under tension and R is under compression. The conversation also mentions the idea of thinking of force as fluid and being shared among different points and rods. Ultimately, it is suggested to try this approach in order to resolve the problem.
alchemphy
P, Q, R, S are light rods attached to the wall with a force W acting at that point in the figure.
Please explain whether Compression or Tension is acting on them respectively by using Free body diagram and proper explanation.

Can I resolve W in this way so that we have a force in the direction of P and parellel to R??
Following that, we know that P is under tension and R is under compression.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 28,265
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    2.3 KB · Views: 616
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "resolve W"? It is sufficient to look at node A and it's equilibrium conditions.

Since you are talking about the FBD, I think you have to draw out a FBD with reaction force at fixed support on the wall in order to explain whether is tension or compression of each members. Not 100% sure though.

alchemphy said:
P, Q, R, S are light rods attached to the wall with a force W acting at that point in the figure.
Please explain whether Compression or Tension is acting on them respectively by using Free body diagram and proper explanation.

Can I resolve W in this way so that we have a force in the direction of P and parellel to R??
Following that, we know that P is under tension and R is under compression.

Thanks.

I ain't know if I am right, but I think thinking as if force is fluid and can be shared might help. Like Point B is pushing the rod R upwards, and pulling the rod Q downwards. Point A pulls the rod P towards right, and the point B; this one's little complex. Like it starts from the rod R. The rod R pushes the point B downward, and thus point B compresses the rod S, and pulls the rod Q..

Anyhow, I think you may resolve the problem if try this way

Related to Free body diagram : Compression and Tension

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object in a given situation. It is a simplified drawing that shows all the external forces acting on the object, such as compression and tension, and their direction.

2. What is compression in a free body diagram?

Compression is a force that acts on an object in a direction that pushes the object together, causing it to shorten or decrease in size. In a free body diagram, compression is represented by arrows pointing towards each other, indicating the direction of the force.

3. What is tension in a free body diagram?

Tension is a force that acts on an object in a direction that pulls the object apart, causing it to elongate or increase in size. In a free body diagram, tension is represented by arrows pointing away from each other, indicating the direction of the force.

4. How do compression and tension affect an object?

Compression and tension can both cause changes in an object's shape or size, depending on their magnitude and direction. They can also balance each other out, resulting in no net force on the object, or they can work together to produce a resultant force on the object.

5. How do I draw a free body diagram for compression and tension?

To draw a free body diagram for compression and tension, first identify the object and all the external forces acting on it. Then, draw arrows to represent each force, making sure to label their direction and magnitude. Finally, draw a coordinate system to indicate the direction of motion or equilibrium of the object.