Free body diagram and applying Newtons law

In summary: I understand now. The velocity of the wedge is not zero in the direction perpendicular to the incline because there is a normal force acting on the wedge from the ground. The normal force is not in the direction perpendicular to the incline because the ground is sloping down.
nilly
hello! this is a question that iv been working on and can't seem to figure it out, i checked out the other two threads on this same question but they were of no help, anyway here it is:

A wedge with mass M rests on a frictionless horizontal table top. A block with mass m is placed on the wedge There is no friction between the block and the wedge. The system is released from rest.
http://tinyurl.com/9zcf7uq
questions: 1.
Calculate the acceleration of the wedge.
Express your answer in terms of M, m, α, and constant g.

Calculate the horizontal component of the acceleration of the block.

Calculate the vertical component of the acceleration of the block.

attempt at solution:

i drew the two free body diagrams and put in the forces.for the mass i have a normal force from wedge up in +y direction and Wcos (theta) down in -y direction, and Wsin(theta) in +x direction

for the wedge i have the normal of ground on wedge in +y direction, normal of block on wedge in -y direction and Wcos(theta) also in - y direction. and for the +x direction i have Wsin (theta)

and i know there is no movement in the y direction so i equated that to zero..

i write the equations for the y and x components down and equate them to get accelaration but i keep getting the wrong answer, help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's see more detail on what you did. The velocity of the block is zero in the y direction (this is incorrect, and has been corrected in post #4), but the velocity of the wedge is not. Also, the normal force of the ground on the wedge is not in the +y direction (assuming y is the direction normal to the incline).

chet

Last edited:
why is the velocity of the wedge not zero in the y direction?i think i may have drawn my free body diagrams incorrectly, which may be the reason that i am not able to get the right answers. i have attached a picture of my free body diagrams

Attachments

• 20141118_171005.jpg
    20141118_171005.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 457
  • unnamed (1).png
    unnamed (1).png
    68.1 KB · Views: 517
nilly said:
why is the velocity of the wedge not zero in the y direction?i think i may have drawn my free body diagrams incorrectly, which may be the reason that i am not able to get the right answers. i have attached a picture of my free body diagrams
The velocity of the wedge is zero in the vertical direction, which is not the y direction. I also made a mistake in my previous post when I said that the velocity of the block is zero in the y direction. The component of the block velocity relative to the wedge is zero in the y direction normal to the slope. But the wedge is moving in the horizontal direction, and thus has components in the directions parallel and perpendicular to the slope.

It might be easier to set this problem up by doing the balances in the horizontal and vertical directions, rather than in the directions perpendicular and parallel to the incline. Try doing this and see what you get.

I'll look over what you did later today.

Chet

Last edited:
I'm not able to follow your diagrams. Please try to set up the problem with the coordinate axes horizontal and vertical, not perpendicular and parallel to the incline.

Do you understand yet why the wedge velocity is not zero in the direction perpendicular to the incline, and why the normal force by the ground on the wedge is not pointed in the direction perpendicular to the incline?

Chet

Related to Free body diagram and applying Newtons law

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation that shows all the forces acting on an object in a given situation. It helps to understand and analyze the motion of the object by isolating and labeling each force acting on it.

2. How do you draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, you need to first identify the object and all the forces acting on it. Then, draw a simple shape to represent the object and label it with the object's name. Next, draw arrows to represent each force acting on the object, making sure to label the direction and type of force. Finally, double-check that all forces are balanced and pointing in the correct direction.

3. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

4. How do you apply Newton's Laws of Motion to solve problems?

To apply Newton's Laws of Motion, you first need to identify the object and all the forces acting on it. Then, use the second law to calculate the net force on the object. Finally, use this net force and the third law to determine the object's acceleration and analyze its motion.

5. What are some real-world applications of free body diagrams and Newton's Laws?

Free body diagrams and Newton's Laws are essential in understanding and predicting the motion of objects in various real-world situations. They are used in engineering to design structures, in physics to study the movement of planets and other celestial bodies, and in everyday life, such as understanding the motion of a car or a person walking. They are also crucial in sports to analyze the forces and movements of athletes.