Fraction decomposition for inverse Laplace

In summary, when trying to solve the givien initial value problem, it can be helpful to use a Laplace transform chart as well as to factor out the denominator. However, when trying to decompose the equation, you may run into some problems. Adding (1-1)/((s+1)^2+1) to y may help to solve the equation.
nateja

Homework Statement

Find the solution of the givien initial value problem and draw its graph
y''+2y'+2y = δ(t-π) y(0) = 1, y'(0) = 0

Homework Equations

A Laplace transform chart would be very useful

The Attempt at a Solution

I chose to solve the equation with Laplace transforms. I took the laplace of the whole equation and then solved for the L(y):

L(y) = (e^(-πs)+s+2)/(s^2+2s+2)
I double checked to make sure I didn't make any errors in my Laplace calculation and I did the algerbra correctly. So I have the right equation. However, my issue is now decomposing this equation - how do you do that?

You can't factor out the denominator? and I can't just set the numerator to As+B can I? The e^s term would make that useless...

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
and just to explain, π is pi and δ is delta for dirac delta function

I tried to use complete the square on the denominator to see if I could break it up more. I got s = -1 + i and s = -1 - i... so I don't know what to do with that at all. I'll keep trying though...

nateja said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I chose to solve the equation with Laplace transforms. I took the laplace of the whole equation and then solved for the L(y):

I double checked to make sure I didn't make any errors in my Laplace calculation and I did the algerbra correctly. So I have the right equation. However, my issue is now decomposing this equation - how do you do that?

You can't factor out the denominator? and I can't just set the numerator to As+B can I? The e^s term would make that useless...

Any ideas?

If you complete the square in the denominator, you'll get s2 + 2s + 1 + 1 = (s + 1)2 + 1.

nateja said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Any ideas?

L(y)(s) = exp(-πs)/(s^2+2s+2) + (s+2)/(s^2+2s+2). Can you find the inverse LT of 1/(s^2+2s+2)? If so, getting the inverse LT of exp(-πs)/(s^2+2s+2) is easy, just using some standard results about Laplace transforms. You can look them up for yourself.

Ray Vickson said:
L(y)(s) = exp(-πs)/(s^2+2s+2) + (s+2)/(s^2+2s+2).

I got this. I also noticed my mistake in completing the square and solved that. I got (s+1)^2 +1 for the denominator now.

So I should get the inverse laplace as uπ(t)*t*e^(-t) + ?

I am getting (s+2)/((s+1)^2 + 1) which does not have an inverse laplace in the chart. The nearest thing is laplace of e^(at)*cos(bt) which is not exactly equivalent because the 'a' term doesn't match.

Also,

Laplace inverse of s/((s+1)^2+1) + 2 * 1/((s+1)^2+1) does not work out either.

The first term is close to the laplace of e^(at)*cos(bt); however, it is not exact again. The second term will be 2*e^(-t)*sin(t)

I can't see any way to tinker with the algerbra without adding on new terms and creating more inverse laplaces...

Would adding (1-1)/((s+1)^2+1) to y give you y = uπ(t)*t*e^(-t) + e^(-t)cos(t) + e^(-t)*sin(t)

I'm pretty sure adding 0 is legal. Does that check out with you guys?

Related to Fraction decomposition for inverse Laplace

1. What is fraction decomposition for inverse Laplace?

Fraction decomposition for inverse Laplace is a mathematical technique used to break down a complex function into simpler fractions, in order to solve for the inverse Laplace transform. This is often done by using partial fraction decomposition, where the function is expressed as a sum of smaller fractions with distinct denominators.

2. Why is fraction decomposition important in inverse Laplace?

Fraction decomposition is important in inverse Laplace because it allows us to solve for the inverse transform of a function that cannot be easily solved using basic Laplace transform techniques. By breaking down the function into simpler fractions, we can use known Laplace transforms to solve for the inverse.

3. How do you perform fraction decomposition for inverse Laplace?

To perform fraction decomposition for inverse Laplace, the first step is to factor the denominator of the function into its prime factors. Then, for each distinct factor, a partial fraction with the corresponding factor in the denominator is set up. The coefficients of each partial fraction can be solved for using algebraic manipulation and comparison with the original function.

4. Can fraction decomposition be used for all functions in inverse Laplace?

No, fraction decomposition can only be used for functions that can be expressed as a ratio of polynomials. Functions with other types of terms, such as trigonometric functions, cannot be decomposed into fractions for inverse Laplace.

5. Are there any limitations to using fraction decomposition for inverse Laplace?

One limitation of fraction decomposition for inverse Laplace is that it can become complex and time-consuming for functions with higher degree polynomials or repeated factors in the denominator. In these cases, other methods such as the Heaviside expansion may be more efficient.