Four Capacitors: What is the charge on C4

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding the charge on capacitor 4 given certain values for voltage and capacitance. The person has been struggling to solve the problem and is asking for help.
ajkess1994
I have been struggling to figure this question out lately and could use some help setting it up correctly.

As shown in the figure, V = 9.0 V, C1 = C2 = 27.2 μF, and C3 = C4 = 13.6 μF. What is the charge on capacitor 4?

I have tried using the summation of charges and then multiplying by the given potential but I am not getting anywhere, can anyone help me?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ajkess1994 said:
I have been struggling to figure this question out lately and could use some help setting it up correctly.

As shown in the figure, V = 9.0 V, C1 = C2 = 27.2 μF, and C3 = C4 = 13.6 μF. What is the charge on capacitor 4?

I have tried using the summation of charges and then multiplying by the given potential but I am not getting anywhere, can anyone help me?

As shown in what figure?

Related to Four Capacitors: What is the charge on C4

1. What is the purpose of a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric charge. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to block or allow the flow of current, filter out unwanted signals, and store energy for later use.

2. How does a capacitor work?

A capacitor is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged, creating an electric field between them. This electric field stores the energy in the form of an electric charge.

3. What is the charge on a capacitor?

The amount of charge on a capacitor depends on the capacitance (C) of the capacitor and the voltage (V) applied to it. The charge (Q) on a capacitor can be calculated using the formula Q = CV, where Q is measured in coulombs (C), C is measured in farads (F), and V is measured in volts (V).

4. How do you calculate the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = Q/V, where C is measured in farads (F), Q is measured in coulombs (C), and V is measured in volts (V). It is also affected by the physical characteristics of the capacitor, such as the distance between the plates, the surface area of the plates, and the type of dielectric material used.

5. How can you determine the charge on C4 in a circuit with four capacitors?

To determine the charge on C4, you can use the principle of conservation of charge, which states that the total charge in a closed system remains constant. This means that the sum of the charges on all four capacitors must be equal to the total charge applied to the circuit. You can then use the formula Q = CV to calculate the charge on C4, given the capacitance and voltage of the other three capacitors in the circuit.