Formula of Average Magnetic B Field Strength of Large Conductor

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the magnetic field strength at a distance from a large conductor. One method suggested is using Ampere's Law and another involves adding up magnetic dipoles. The formula should be able to handle any type of magnet and its strength, even if it is rotating at a certain speed. The conversation also mentions calculating the EMF (voltage) later.
benofer90
Any one knows how to calculate the magnetic B field strength at a distance from a Large Conductor ? Do we go by average ?

thanks

Image006.png

Physics news on Phys.org
benofer90 said:
Any one knows how to calculate the magnetic B field strength at a distance from a Large Conductor ? Do we go by average ?

thanks

Image006.png

Use Ampere's Law:

http://wikipremed.com/01physicscards600/371a.gif
371a.gif

Oh, and d is the distance from the center of the wire.

berkeman said:
Oh, and d is the distance from the center of the wire.

I do believe he means the magnetic field strength due to the perm. magnet.

In general, for an arbitrarily shaped magnet, this is difficult. One method would be to add up the magnetic dipoles over the volume, although I don't believe the value is given in a materials data sheet.

Likes benofer90
stedwards said:
I do believe he means the magnetic field strength due to the perm. magnet.

In general, for an arbitrarily shaped magnet, this is difficult. One method would be to add up the magnetic dipoles over the volume, although I don't believe the value is given in a materials data sheet.

Yes tou are right . I am going to calculate the EMF(v) later as the magnet will be in motion at the same distance as the above drawing .
He magnet will be N35 or N52 but it can be of any force the formula should be able to handle any type,of magnet and it T strength . The magnet will be a ring and it will rotate on its axis at some kind of rpm . But still this things shouldn't effect the formula . Any per idea ?

Last edited by a moderator:
benofer90 said:
Yes you are right . I am going to calculate the EMF(v) later as the magnet in motion at the some distance as the above drawing .

The magnet will be N35 or N52 but it can be of any force. The formula I am seeking should be able to handle any type of magnet and its T strength.

The magnet will be a ring and it will rotate on its axis at some kind of RPM . But still these things should not effect the formula .

any thoughts of how to calculate?

Related to Formula of Average Magnetic B Field Strength of Large Conductor

1. What is the formula for calculating the average magnetic field strength of a large conductor?

The formula for calculating the average magnetic field strength of a large conductor is B = μI/2πr, where B is the magnetic field strength in tesla (T), μ is the permeability of the material (typically 4π x 10^-7 Tm/A), I is the current in the conductor in amperes (A), and r is the distance from the center of the conductor in meters (m).

2. How is the average magnetic field strength of a large conductor different from the magnetic field strength at a specific point?

The average magnetic field strength of a large conductor is a measure of the overall strength of the magnetic field around the conductor. It takes into account the varying magnetic field strength at different points around the conductor and provides an average value. On the other hand, the magnetic field strength at a specific point is the strength of the magnetic field at that particular location.

3. Can the formula for average magnetic field strength be used for any type of conductor?

Yes, the formula for average magnetic field strength can be used for any type of conductor, as long as the current and distance from the center of the conductor are known. However, the permeability of the material may vary depending on the type of conductor and this should be taken into account for accurate calculations.

4. How does the current in the conductor affect the average magnetic field strength?

The current in the conductor has a direct effect on the average magnetic field strength. As the current increases, the magnetic field strength also increases. This is because the strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the current flowing through the conductor.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated average magnetic field strength?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated average magnetic field strength, including the accuracy of the measurements of current and distance, the uniformity of the current flow in the conductor, and the permeability of the material. Additionally, external magnetic fields or nearby conductors can also influence the accuracy of the calculation.