Force Question -- Solidworks model of a pulley system

In summary: I'm sorry if I'm not understanding.When you refer to "force" I assume you mean the difference in tension between the two sides of the belt (eg the force used to calculate the torque on the pulley)?Putting these two together you can calculate that the torque is increasing by a factor of...(New Radius/Old Radius)*(New force/Old force) = 3√2 * 800/400 = 2.5
Elijah Carstens
Hello Everyone,

I'm currently making simulations in Solidworks and am confused.

I have to double the force on a pulley and change the dimensions from the original pulley, in order to withstand the new force.

My hypothesis:
If I multiply all the dimensions by the cubed root of 2, then my volume will double and the results of both simulations will remain the same, because I doubled the force and the volume of the second experiment.

Does that make sense?

I figured if the volume of the object doubles along with the amount of force, then the results should remain the same.

When i ran the simulation, it didn't go as planned.

Why?

Thank You so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Elijah Carstens said:
My hypothesis:
If I multiply all the dimensions by the cubed root of 2, then my volume will double and the results of both simulations will remain the same, because I doubled the force and the volume of the second experiment.
Try to express what you're doing in terms of physics, for those who might not know anything about "Solidworks".

Sorry I seem to have accidentally deleted my first attempt to post this so...

Strength of materials isn't really my field but consider the torque calculation..

Torque = force * radius

You are doubling the force and increasing the radius by sqrt 2 so the torque increases by about 2.8.

Perhaps that doesn't matter?

CWatters said:
Sorry I seem to have accidentally deleted my first attempt to post this so...

Strength of materials isn't really my field but consider the torque calculation..

Torque = force * radius

You are doubling the force and increasing the radius by sqrt 2 so the torque increases by about 2.8.

Perhaps that doesn't matter?

Maybe clarify what you mean. My math was dividing the new amount of force (800N), by the original amount (400N).

That's how I got 2. I needed that number in order to find what to multiply the original dimensions by.

3√2 * (original dimensions of pulley)

Sorry I made a mistake in my post above. I should have used 3√2 instead of sqrt.

If you are increasing all dimensions by 3√2 then does that also includes the radius?

When you refer to "force" I assume you mean the difference in tension between the two sides of the belt (eg the force used to calculate the torque on the pulley)?

Putting these two together you can calculate that the torque is increasing by a factor of...

(New Radius/Old Radius)*(New force/Old force) = 3√2 * 800/400 = 2.5

Perhaps by "force" you mean something different?

Related to Force Question -- Solidworks model of a pulley system

1. What is a pulley system in Solidworks?

A pulley system in Solidworks is a mechanical assembly that uses one or more pulleys and ropes or belts to transmit force and motion. It is used to lift or move heavy objects with less effort.

2. How do I create a pulley system in Solidworks?

To create a pulley system in Solidworks, you can use the Toolbox feature to insert standard pulley components or you can model the pulleys and ropes manually using sketches, extrusions, and assembly mates.

3. Can I simulate the motion of a pulley system in Solidworks?

Yes, Solidworks has a simulation tool called Motion Analysis that allows you to simulate the motion of a pulley system. This can help you analyze the forces and stresses on the components and make design improvements if needed.

4. How do I calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system in Solidworks?

You can calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system in Solidworks by dividing the output force by the input force. Solidworks also has a feature called Physical Dynamics that can calculate the mechanical advantage automatically.

5. Can I use a Solidworks model of a pulley system for real-world applications?

Yes, a Solidworks model of a pulley system can be used for real-world applications as long as the dimensions, materials, and other factors accurately reflect the physical system. However, it is always recommended to perform physical testing and validation before using the model for practical use.