Force on an Accelerating Car: Calculating the Net Force

In summary, the question being discussed is about calculating the net force exerted on a car with a mass of 710kg that starts from rest and travels 40.0m in 3.0s. After calculating the acceleration to be 8.9 m/s^2, the net force is then found to be 6319N using the formula F = m•a. The question is then confirmed to be correct.
Wanting to Learn
Hello, since this is a new topic in class I just want to check that I am doing the question correctly.
Given:
car mass = 710kg
starts from rest
v0 = 0
travels 40.0m in 3.0s
d = 40.0m
t = 3.0s

Question:
What is the net force exerted on the car?
F = ___N

Work:
First I calculated acceleration:
d = v0t + 0.5at2
40 = 0 + 0.5a32
40 = 4.5a
a = 8.888 => 8.9

Then force:
F = m•a
F = 710•8.9
Answer:
F = 6319N

Is this correct? Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK, but please follow the template next time you post.

Thank you. I included all the information which the template asks for; I just found it easier to to format as I did.

Related to Force on an Accelerating Car: Calculating the Net Force

What is the force on an accelerating car?

The force on an accelerating car is the product of its mass and acceleration, known as the car's net force. This force is what causes the car to accelerate or decelerate.

What factors affect the force on an accelerating car?

The force on an accelerating car is affected by its mass, the magnitude of its acceleration, and any external forces acting on the car (such as friction or air resistance).

How is the force on an accelerating car calculated?

The force on an accelerating car can be calculated using the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. This equation is known as Newton's second law of motion.

What happens to the force on an accelerating car if its mass or acceleration changes?

If the mass or acceleration of a car changes, the force on the car will also change. An increase in mass will result in an increase in force, while an increase in acceleration will result in a greater force as well.

How does the force on an accelerating car affect its movement?

The force on an accelerating car determines the car's movement. A greater force will result in a greater acceleration, while a smaller force will result in a slower acceleration or even deceleration.