Fluid Dynamics-D'Alembert's paradox

In summary, the conversation discusses trying to prove D'alembert's paradox using a nonviscous, irrotational flow around a cylinder. The person used a webpage for help but got stuck on a specific equation (2.38) and asks for assistance in understanding it. The equation involves the tangential velocity at the surface of the cylinder and relies on a specific flow pattern in a fluid with zero viscosity. The conversation ends with a question about the predictability of flow in fluid with zero viscosity.
hhhmortal
Hi, I'm trying to prove D'alembert's paradox, but considering a nonviscous, irrotational flow of a fluid around a cylinder.

I used the following webpage to help me, which was very good, but I got to a part where I can't seem to solve, perhaps cause my maths needs some brushing up.

http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/311/notes/fluids1/fluids11/node19.html

It's on Equation (2.38). How do you get this from Eq 2.36 and Eq 2.37 ?

What component of velocity is being used on Eq 2.38?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
At the surface of the cylinder (stated measurement point)

R = r so substituting

The radial velocity (cosine term) is zero.

So total velocity is given by tangential velocity (sine term) alone

substitute R = r and square and you have your next equation (2.38)

Last edited:
Note - D'Alembert's paradox relies on a specific flow pattern in a fluid with zero viscosity. With zero viscosity, there's no interaction between adjacent "streamlines" so flow patterns aren't determinate. An alternate, but just as valid flow pattern would consists of a long rectangle of fluid flowing at the same speed as the cylinder, with no interaction of the surrounding fluid. It all depends on the initial state of the fluid. It's not clear to me, how any mathematical model can be made to predict a flow in fluid with zero viscosity.

Related to Fluid Dynamics-D'Alembert's paradox

1. What is D'Alembert's paradox?

D'Alembert's paradox is a phenomenon in fluid dynamics where an object moving through an ideal fluid experiences no drag force. This paradox contradicts the fact that in real fluids, drag forces are always present when an object moves through them.

2. How is D'Alembert's paradox explained?

D'Alembert's paradox is explained by the assumption of an ideal fluid, which is a fluid with no viscosity or internal friction. In this case, the fluid particles can easily flow around the object without creating any drag force. However, in real fluids, viscosity causes the fluid to stick to the surface of the object, resulting in a drag force.

3. What are the implications of D'Alembert's paradox?

The implications of D'Alembert's paradox are significant in the study of fluid dynamics and aerodynamics. It highlights the limitations of using ideal fluid models and the need to consider viscosity in real fluid situations. It also helps in understanding the flow patterns around objects and the resulting drag forces.

4. Can D'Alembert's paradox be observed in real-life scenarios?

No, D'Alembert's paradox cannot be observed in real-life scenarios. This paradox only applies to ideal fluids, which do not exist in nature. In real fluids, drag forces are always present, and objects experience resistance when moving through them.

5. How is D'Alembert's paradox relevant to everyday life?

D'Alembert's paradox may not have direct relevance to everyday life, but it has significant applications in fields such as aerodynamics and fluid mechanics. Understanding this paradox helps in designing efficient and streamlined objects that can minimize drag forces and improve overall performance.