Fixed Support Moment Homework: Find Moment at Point A

In summary: This is why I said you should pay careful attention to which angles and which trig functions you are using.In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a diagram showing a beam attached to a wall. The main question is about the lack of a moment around point A and whether there would be one if there was no ground at the bottom. The conversation also touches on the use of trigonometry in determining moment arms and the importance of decomposing forces into their components.
Kaushy

Homework Statement

image2.JPG

This is the diagram, and the question is written there too (sorry for blurry picture)

Homework Equations

My main question is that when you draw out the FBD, at point A, there is a force going up, and a force going to the right. Why isn't there a moment around A? I have had other questions where a beam is attached to a wall and I'll have the x, y, and moment at the connection. Is it because there is a ground at the bottom? Would there be a moment at A if it wasn't there?

The Attempt at a Solution

(left, right, clockwise positive)
Sum of all forces in X = 0
Sum of all forces in Y = 0
Sum of moments (from A) = 0, so is the formula: 0 = 4*10000sin30 - 4*Tsin80 (or 0 = MomentA + 4*10000sin30 - 4*Tsin80?)[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Kaushy, :welcome:
There's no moment around A, otherwise the beam would start rotating!
Same as when you're standing on the floor, then there's no net force in the vertical direction, otherwise you would start accelerating vertically.
Which also means that, at A, the forces from beam and wall better add up to zero in both vertical and horizontal directions! (otherwise ...)

For the sum of moments around A I agree with the 4 * 10000 * sin 30##^\circ##, only I would call it negative (we usually have counterclockwise as the positive rotation direction).
[edit] sorry, that was correct too !
I'm not that happy with the other term: the perpendicular distance for the tension in the cable is not 4 * sin 80##^\circ##...

Do I understand correctly that you don't have to take the weight of the beam into account ?

--

image1.JPG

When I am given this, seemingly similar problem (i have the solution), the formula for moment at point A is 0 = momentA - 20(5) - 20(5sin26.56) (counterclockwise positive). Why do we consider the moment as part of the equation in this and not the first one? (yes, assume the beam is weightless)

Kaushy said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 92051
This is the diagram, and the question is written there too (sorry for blurry picture)

Homework Equations

My main question is that when you draw out the FBD, at point A, there is a force going up, and a force going to the right. Why isn't there a moment around A? I have had other questions where a beam is attached to a wall and I'll have the x, y, and moment at the connection. Is it because there is a ground at the bottom? Would there be a moment at A if it wasn't there?

The Attempt at a Solution

(left, right, clockwise positive)
Sum of all forces in X = 0
Sum of all forces in Y = 0
Sum of moments (from A) = 0, so is the formula: 0 = 4*10000sin30 - 4*Tsin80 (or 0 = MomentA + 4*10000sin30 - 4*Tsin80?)[/B]
You should review the definition of a moment:

http://emweb.unl.edu/NEGAHBAN/EM223/note6/note6.htm

The moment arm is the perpendicular distance between the line of action of the force and the reference point about which the moment is calculated.

For the unknown cable tension in line BC, you should break this force up into its horizontal and vertical components. This will make your calculations much easier.

You should also pay careful attention to which angles and which trig functions you are using.
The moment of the tension TBC about A is not equal to 4*T*sin 80°.

Kaushy said:
View attachment 92053
When I am given this, seemingly similar problem (i have the solution), the formula for moment at point A is 0 = momentA - 20(5) - 20(5sin26.56) (counterclockwise positive). Why do we consider the moment as part of the equation in this and not the first one? (yes, assume the beam is weightless)
Here, the beam is fixed to the wall at point A and is not free to rotate.

You should always draw a free body diagram of any beams you are analyzing and determine how the ends of the beam are fixed or not.

In the problem in the OP, the sketch is not clear on how the beam AB is connected to point A, but usually there is a pin connection, or a ball-and-socket joint which allows the beam AB to rotate up and down. Neither the pin connection of the ball-and-socket joint permit a reaction moment to develop.

Likes Kaushy
Kaushy said:
View attachment 92053
In this case the beam is attached to the wall and can't rotate: the wall exercises a torque on the beam.
In post #1 A is drawn as a pivot point, a hinge for example (at least, that's how I interpret the black dot).

Likes Kaushy
SteamKing said:
The moment of the tension TBC about A is not equal to 4*T*sin 80°.
Was my first reaction too, but on second thoughts I agreed with Kaushy. Bedtime for me, but I would appreciate some enlightenment !

I'm almost certain it is 4*T*sin80. Regardless, from my understanding, I'm not considering there to be a moment since the question in OP isn't actually a fixed point. I could not make that out from this diagram given. Thank you for both of your help.

Kaushy said:
I'm almost certain it is 4*T*sin80. Regardless, from my understanding, I'm not considering there to be a moment since the question in OP isn't actually a fixed point. I could not make that out from this diagram given. Thank you for both of your help.
Triangle ABC is not a right triangle, so using trig functions like you would with a right triangle to determine moment arms may not always be correct. This is why I recommended that you decompose the tension force in line BC into its horizontal and vertical components.

The horizontal component of TBC will be perpendicular to the wall, thus forming a right triangle by definition. The moment due to the vertical component of TBC can easily be computed by inspection.

The horizontal component of TBC is TBC ⋅ cos 20°. Its moment arm about A is 4 ⋅ sin 60° .

Likewise, the vertical component of TBC can be computed and its moment arm about point A determined.

The sum of these two moments will be the moment of TBC about point A. Be sure to account for the direction of these individual moments about A when summing them.

SteamKing said:
Triangle ABC is not a right triangle, so
Perhaps, but Angle ABC is definitely 80 degrees and that's all OP uses!
SteamKing said:
The horizontal component of TBC is TBC ⋅ cos 20°. Its moment arm about A is 4 ⋅ sin 60° .

Likewise, the vertical component of TBC can be computed and its moment arm about point A determined.

The sum of these two moments will be the moment of TBC about point A
Which then, according to our reasoning, should be the same as OP expression ...

BvU said:
Perhaps, but Angle ABC is definitely 80 degrees and that's all OP uses!
Which then, according to our reasoning, should be the same as OP expression ...

I've confirmed the OP's expression of the moment about A due to the tension TBC.

I generally prefer using the vector definition M = r × F since it saves having to figure out all the components of r and F and then multiplying them together.

OK, so Kaushy is doing fine finding T from ##\sum\vec\tau = 0## .
Reaction forces at A also OK ?

BvU said:
OK, so Kaushy is doing fine finding T from ##\sum\vec\tau = 0## .
Reaction forces at A also OK ?
I haven't seen any calculations so far ...

Perhaps Kaushy has left us to quarrel amongst ourselves and moved on to greener pastures... :smile: (or the next exercise!)

Related to Fixed Support Moment Homework: Find Moment at Point A

1. What is a fixed support moment?

A fixed support moment is a type of boundary condition in structural engineering where a structure is completely fixed or immovable at a certain point. This means that the structure is prevented from rotating or moving in any direction at that specific point.

2. How is the moment at point A calculated for a fixed support?

The moment at point A for a fixed support is calculated using the equation M = F x d, where M is the moment, F is the force applied, and d is the distance from the fixed support to point A. This equation is based on the principle of moments, which states that the sum of all moments acting on a balanced structure must equal zero.

3. Can the moment at point A be negative?

Yes, the moment at point A can be negative. A negative moment indicates that the structure is experiencing clockwise rotation at that point. This can occur when there is a counterclockwise force acting on the structure, or when the structure is experiencing a bending moment.

4. How does the moment at point A affect the stability of a structure?

The moment at point A is an important factor in determining the stability of a structure. If the moment at point A is too large, it can cause the structure to collapse or fail. This is why engineers must carefully calculate the moment at point A and design structures to withstand it.

5. Are there any assumptions made when calculating the moment at point A for a fixed support?

Yes, there are some assumptions that are made when calculating the moment at point A for a fixed support. One assumption is that the structure is in equilibrium, meaning that the sum of all forces and moments acting on the structure must equal zero. Another assumption is that the structure is rigid and does not deform under the applied forces.