Finding X-Intercepts for f(x)=(x/2)-sin(x)

• Thread starter kevinnn
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the x-intercept of the trigonometric equation f(x)=(x/2)-sin(x), with known y-intercept at (0,0). One person suggests using Newton's method, but another points out that it is not introduced until later and suggests using a graphing calculator instead. The conversation then shifts to using the fixed point method to find the root of the equation. Eventually, it is mentioned that using Newton's method may converge faster, but the fixed point method also works.
kevinnn

Homework Statement

I need to find an x-intercept for this trigonometric equation, f(x)=(x/2)-sin(x). I already know that one of the intercepts in (0,0) because that is a y-intercept. I figure i could use Newton's method but this problem is in a section before Newton's method is introduced.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that the relation (sin(x)/x)=1 could possible be useful at first but now I know it's not. I know it has to be just one or two steps also. Help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
kevinnn said:

Homework Statement

I need to find an x-intercept for this trigonometric equation, f(x)=(x/2)-sin(x). I already know that one of the intercepts in (0,0) because that is a y-intercept. I figure i could use Newton's method but this problem is in a section before Newton's method is introduced. I figured that the relation (sin(x)/x)=1 could possible be useful at first but now I know it's not. I know it has to be just one or two steps also. Help appreciated.

If you are after an ##x## intercept instead of all of them, you are done because (0,0) is both an x and y intercept. Otherwise there is a root a bit less than 2 you will need Newton's method to find. And the function is odd, so...

Sorry I forgot to put the interval, were only suppose to look at (0,3pi). This definitely brings up confusion for me. I thought I could only find the root using Newton's method but that is in a later section. But that is the only way right?

kevinnn said:
Sorry I forgot to put the interval, were only suppose to look at (0,3pi). This definitely brings up confusion for me. I thought I could only find the root using Newton's method but that is in a later section. But that is the only way right?

You will need a numerical method of some sort. Maybe you are allowed to use a graphing calculator if you haven't studied Newton's method yet.

I assume it must be a graphing calculator problem too. I do know how to use Newton's method,it just didn't make sense for someone that has studied only up to the chapter the problem is on. They must have just left the graphing calculator ok symbol out. But i used Newtons method and got the intercept, only to a couple decimal places though.

You told us what you need to do, we need a complete problem statement so we can all work on the same thing.

The title of the thread is "curve sketching", Have you sketched the curve? What tools for that do you have?

Ohhh the problem is done and correctly sketched. It was a poor title now that I look at it. That one question was the part of the curve sketching I couldn't do without Newtons method or a calculator, that is what my question was. Sorry.

Try this, you have:

[tex] F(x)= \frac x 2- Sin(x) [/tex]

If you want the roots of this set [tex] F(x)=0= \frac x 2- Sin(x) [/tex]

so
[tex] x=2 sin(x) [/tex]

From your sketch you should know the number of roots and their approximate location. Make a rough estimate of a root, plug it into the RHS of the last equation get a new x, repeat several times.

Last edited:
I like that. I just used straight forward Newton's method. I will work with this though, it makes for a more complete knowledge of what is going on with a graph.

Newton's method may converge faster then the above fixed point method, but it does converge after about 10 -12 iterations with an initial guess of .5. An initial guess of 2 took about 6 iterations.

Related to Finding X-Intercepts for f(x)=(x/2)-sin(x)

What is the purpose of finding x-intercepts for a function?

The x-intercepts of a function represent the points where the graph of the function crosses the x-axis. These points are useful in determining the roots or solutions of the function and can provide information about the behavior of the function.

How do you find the x-intercepts of a function using its equation?

To find the x-intercepts, also known as the roots or zeros, of a function, set the function equal to 0 and solve for x. This can be done algebraically by factoring or using the quadratic formula, or graphically by locating the points where the graph crosses the x-axis.

Can a function have more than two x-intercepts?

Yes, a function can have any number of x-intercepts, including none. The number of x-intercepts depends on the behavior of the function and the values of its coefficients.

How do x-intercepts relate to the domain and range of a function?

The x-intercepts of a function can help determine the domain and range of the function. The x-intercepts represent the values of x where the function is equal to 0, so they are part of the domain. The range of the function may be limited by the behavior of the function near the x-intercepts.

What is the significance of the x-intercepts in real-world applications?

In real-world applications, the x-intercepts of a function can represent important points or events. For example, in a profit function, the x-intercepts represent the points where the company breaks even or makes a loss. In a physics problem, the x-intercepts may represent the points where an object reaches 0 velocity.