Finding Velocity and Acceleration based on position of X & Y

The magnitude of a vector is its length; for a 2D vector with components x and y, the length is sqrt(x^2 + y^2). You can show this by drawing a right triangle with sides of length x and y, then the hypotenuse has length sqrt(x^2 + y^2).When you have the vector components, you can find the magnitude and direction easily. The magnitude is the length of the vector, as just defined. The direction is the angle that the vector makes with one of the axes. If you choose the x axis, the angle is arctan(y/x).You use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the vector. The kinematics equations are used for solving problems
Lori

1. Homework Statement

Given x and y position ... find magnitude of both velocity and acceleration and their direction at t = 2 ?

x = 4t
y = 30 - 2.2t^2

would the velocity's magnitude be sqrt(8^2 + 8.8^2) ?

Homework Equations

v = sqrt(vy^2 + vx^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

vy = -8.8
vx= 8

v = sqrt((8)^2 +(-8.8^2)) = 11.89 m/s

atan(8/) = 42 degrees east of south

Is this how I'm suppose to find velocity?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lori said:

Homework Statement

Given x and y position ... find magnitude of both velocity and acceleration and their direction at t = 2 ?

x = 8t
y = 30 - 2.2t

would the velocity's magnitude be sqrt(8^2 + 2.2^2) ?

Homework Equations

v = sqrt(vy^2 + vx^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

vy = -2.2
vx= 8

v = sqrt((-2.2)^ +(8^2)) = 9.1 m/s

atan(-2.2/8) = 15 degrees east of south

Is this how I'm suppose to find velocity?

That is how I would have done it, but I would have described arctan(-2.2/8) correctly. A a simple sketch would reveal what is wrong with your description of the angle.

Ray Vickson said:
That is how I would have done it, but I would have described arctan(-2.2/8) correctly. A a simple sketch would reveal what is wrong with your description of the angle.
Would it be 15 degrees south of east?

Lori said:

And is acceleration just derivative of velocity so
v = (8)i + 4.4t(j)
a = 0 - 4.4 = -4.4 m/s^2 ? How do i find direction of velocity? Would it be directly southward?

Lori said:
Yep.
Lori said:
v = (8)i + 4.4t(j)
a = 0 - 4.4 = -4.4 m/s^2 ? How do i find direction of velocity? Would it be directly southward?
How did you get that v?
Edit: Oh, I see you updated the problem statement.
Can we find vx and vy as derivatives of x and y -- without substituting t?
And then find ax and ay as derivatives of vx and vy?

Lori said:

Yes.

Lori said:
v = (8)i + 4.4t(j)

The acceleration is a vector, not a scalar, so you need to include the i and j unit vectors in your expression for a. Then you will be able to answer your own question---a habit you should develop as part of your learning process.

How do i know if i should give my answer in vector form cause the problem i have is that it asked to give the magnitude . Isnt magnitude just the numerical value?

I have to solve many physics problems involving the x and y directions for velocity, acceleration, position... but like i get confused on whether i should include vector units or not.

This is basically the reason why I wanted to make sure that i was answering the question right. I was confused on whether i should use the pythagorean formula and square the x and y components to get the velocity/acceleration OR if i was suppose to use the Kinematic equations and plug in numbers and solve

Last edited by a moderator:
Lori said:
How do i know if i should give my answer in vector form cause the problem i have is that it asked to give the magnitude . Isnt magnitude just the numerical value?

I have to solve many physics problems involving the x and y directions for velocity, acceleration, position... but like i get confused on whether i should include vector units or not.

This is basically the reason why I wanted to make sure that i was answering the question right. I was confused on whether i should use the pythagorean formula and square the x and y components to get the velocity/acceleration OR if i was suppose to use the Kinematic equations and plug in numbers and solve

The question asked you to find the magnitude and direction for both velocity and acceleration. Anyway, I was really objecting to your writing velocity v as a vector on one line and acceleration a as a scalar on the very next line. You would be better off writing vectors using a bold font, such as v; then the magnitude of that vector could be written as v (not bold) or |v| or |v|.

Last edited:
In this case we have to find the vector components first, before we can find the magnitude and direction.

Related to Finding Velocity and Acceleration based on position of X & Y

1. How do you calculate velocity based on the position of X and Y?

To calculate velocity, you need to find the change in position (x2 - x1) and the change in time (t2 - t1). Then, divide the change in position by the change in time to get the average velocity.

2. What is the formula for acceleration based on the position of X and Y?

The formula for acceleration is acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time. This means that you need to find the change in velocity and divide it by the change in time to get the acceleration.

3. Can you find velocity and acceleration if only the position of X is known?

No, you need both the position of X and Y to calculate velocity and acceleration. This is because both X and Y directions contribute to the overall motion of an object, and their values are necessary for accurate calculations.

4. How do you represent velocity and acceleration using graphs?

Velocity can be represented by a graph of position vs. time, where the slope of the line at any point represents the velocity at that time. Acceleration can be represented by a graph of velocity vs. time, where the slope of the line at any point represents the acceleration at that time.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding velocity and acceleration based on position of X and Y?

Finding velocity and acceleration based on the position of X and Y is crucial in many fields such as physics, engineering, and sports. It is used to analyze the motion of objects, design vehicles and structures, and improve athletic performance. It is also used in GPS technology, robotics, and motion tracking systems.