Finding Vector with Known Vector and Resultant Vector

In summary: I really appreciate it!In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude and direction of vector a, which forms an unknown angle with the resultant vector of 15 N and an angle of 30 degrees with vector b, which has a magnitude of 8 N. Using the Pythagorean Theorem and trigonometric functions, the horizontal and vertical components of vector a can be found by subtracting the components of the known vector b. From there, the magnitude of vector a can be calculated and its direction can be determined using the equations for components.
deathcabislov

Homework Statement

There are two forces. One has a magnitude of 8 N and acts at an angle of 30 degrees on the resultant vector. The resultant vector is 15 N.

Homework Equations

equations for components (|a|cosx for horizontal and |a|sinx for vertical)
cos law and sin law
basic trig

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I drew a diagram. Because the direction of the resultant is not stated, I positioned it going south. I then drew the known vector 30 degrees from the tail of the resultant. So it's tip acted 30 degrees on the tail of the resultant, as stated in the problem. I labelled that as b. Then I drew in the unknown vector, which I labelled as a. It makes an unknown angle with the resultant and has an unknown magnitude.
I tried using the cos law/sin law way of solving this, but all I could figure out is that vector a makes an angle of 60+x degrees with vector b.
I also tried solving with components. I calculated 4N and 7N for the hor. and vert. components of b, respectively and 0N and 15N for the resultant. But after this I am completely lost!

I would really appreciate some feedback just on how I have my diagram set up and maybe some tips on where to go from here, if I have anything correct! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi deathcabislov! welcome to pf! :smile:
deathcabislov said:
There are two forces. One has a magnitude of 8 N and acts at an angle of 30 degrees on the resultant vector. The resultant vector is 15 N.

First, I drew a diagram. Because the direction of the resultant is not stated, I positioned it going south. I then drew the known vector 30 degrees from the tail of the resultant. So it's tip acted 30 degrees on the tail of the resultant, as stated in the problem. I labelled that as b. Then I drew in the unknown vector, which I labelled as a. …

If there are two forces, (b = 8 N, and a unknown) and their resultant is 15N, then shouldn't b go on the end of a, not on the end of the 15 N ? :confused:

Thank you! :)

tiny-tim said:
If there are two forces, (b = 8 N, and a unknown) and their resultant is 15N, then shouldn't b go on the end of a, not on the end of the 15 N ? :confused:

Yes, that is what I meant. Here is a very messy depiction of what I have:
xo1tdw.jpg

I know this is an easy problem but I'm so confused!

hi deathcabislov! :wink:
deathcabislov said:
I also tried solving with components. I calculated 4N and 7N for the hor. and vert. components of b, respectively and 0N and 15N for the resultant.

well, that should work (of course, it isn't exactly 7 N) …

show us what you did after that :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hi deathcabislov! :wink:well, that should work (of course, it isn't exactly 7 N) …

show us what you did after that :smile:

Haha. No. It's 6.92820323 N. But for this question, all I need to use is 7 N.

Well, I tried to use the Pythagorean Theorem, because the square of the resultant equals the square of the sum of the x-components plus the square of the sum of the y-components.
So:
(15 N)2=(ax+4N)2+(ay+7N)2

deathcabislov said:
(15 N)2=(ax+4N)2+(ay+7N)2

noooo, that's nonsense :redface:

that would be a formula for a right-angled triangle with 15 on the hypotenuse, wouldn't it?

you need to find ax and ay by subtraction :smile:

(in vectors, it's a + b = (0,15))

Ohhhhhhkay. And once I find those, I can find the magnitude of a. And then can I just use one of the component formulas to find the direction of a?

yup! :biggrin:

Thank you SO MUCH!

Related to Finding Vector with Known Vector and Resultant Vector

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size or length) and direction.

2. What is a known vector?

A known vector is a vector that is given or known in advance, usually through measurements or calculations.

3. What is a resultant vector?

A resultant vector is a vector that represents the combination of two or more vectors. It is the vector that results from adding or subtracting the individual vectors.

4. How do you find a vector with known vector and resultant vector?

To find a vector with known vector and resultant vector, you can use the parallelogram method or the head-to-tail method. Both methods involve drawing the known vector and resultant vector to form a parallelogram or triangle, and then finding the missing vector using trigonometric functions or vector addition/subtraction.

5. Why is finding vector with known vector and resultant vector important?

Finding vector with known vector and resultant vector is important in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, mechanics, and navigation. It allows us to determine the direction and magnitude of a vector that is not directly given, which is necessary for solving various real-world problems and making accurate predictions.