Finding the Vector Eqn of a Line

• Thread starter d=vt+1/2at^2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line Vector
In summary, to find the vector equation of a line passing through a point P(2, -1, 3) and perpendicular to the plane 3x - 2y - z = 0, you can use the normal vector of the plane (3i - 2j - k) as the direction vector for the line.
d=vt+1/2at^2

Homework Statement

Find the Vector eqn of a line which passes through P(2, -1, 3) and is perpendicular to the plane 3x -2y -z =0.

Homework Equations

Line(x) = P + td where d is a direction vector

The Attempt at a Solution

My main problem here is trying to find the direction vector for the line. I have really no idea how to find that. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I figured it out...I can use the normal vector of the plane as my direction vector.

Yes, that's exactly right. And that, of course, is just 3i- 2j- k.

Related to Finding the Vector Eqn of a Line

1. What is a vector equation of a line?

A vector equation of a line is a mathematical representation of a line in terms of its direction and magnitude. It is typically written in the form of r = p + td, where r is a position vector, p is a point on the line, t is a scalar, and d is a direction vector.

2. How is a vector equation of a line different from a parametric equation of a line?

A vector equation of a line describes the position of any point on the line using a single equation, while a parametric equation of a line uses two equations to describe the x and y coordinates separately. In other words, a vector equation of a line is a more concise representation of a line.

3. What are the advantages of using a vector equation of a line?

One advantage of using a vector equation of a line is that it allows for easy calculation of the distance between two points on the line. It also allows for easy determination of the direction and slope of the line. Additionally, it is a more concise and efficient way to represent a line compared to other methods.

4. Can a vector equation of a line be written in different forms?

Yes, a vector equation of a line can be written in different forms depending on the specific context or application. For example, it can be written in column vector form, component form, or in terms of the unit vectors i and j.

5. How can I find the vector equation of a line given two points on the line?

To find the vector equation of a line given two points, you can first calculate the direction vector by subtracting the coordinates of the two points. Then, you can choose one of the points to be the point p in the equation r = p + td, and use the direction vector as d. The value of t can then be adjusted to find the position of any point on the line.