Finding the Values of x for Increasing Functions: A Simple Q&A

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the values of x for which f(x) is an increasing function. The derivative of f(x) is set to be greater than zero, resulting in x < -2 and x > 2/3. However, some texts make a distinction between increasing and strictly increasing functions, with the latter having a strict inequality. The same applies for decreasing and strictly decreasing functions.
phospho
to cut it short, was asked to find the values of x for which f(x) is an increasing function
[tex] \dfrac{(x^2 + 3)}{4x + 1} = f(x) [/tex]
[tex] \dfrac{(4x-6)(x+2)}{(4x+1)^2} = f'(x) [/tex] so setting this to be greater than zero I get the values of x < -2, and x > 2/3 however in the answers they got x <= -2 and x >= 2/3, and they set f'(x) to be >= 0. I thought with increasing functions f'(x) is > 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
phospho said:
to cut it short, was asked to find the values of x for which f(x) is an increasing function
[tex] \dfrac{(x^2 + 3)}{4x + 1} = f(x) [/tex]
[tex] \dfrac{(4x-6)(x+2)}{(4x+1)^2} = f'(x) [/tex] so setting this to be greater than zero I get the values of x < -2, and x > 2/3 however in the answers they got x <= -2 and x >= 2/3, and they set f'(x) to be >= 0. I thought with increasing functions f'(x) is > 0?
Some texts distinguish between increasing and strictly increasing. For an increasing function, if a < b, then f(a) ≤ f(b). For a function that is strictly increasing, if a < b, then f(a) < f(b).

And similar for decreasing/strictly decreasing.

Mark44 said:
Some texts distinguish between increasing and strictly increasing. For an increasing function, if a < b, then f(a) ≤ f(b). For a function that is strictly increasing, if a < b, then f(a) < f(b).

And similar for decreasing/strictly decreasing.

oh I see, thank you!

Related to Finding the Values of x for Increasing Functions: A Simple Q&A

1. What is an increasing function?

An increasing function is a mathematical function where the output (y-value) increases as the input (x-value) increases. In other words, as the value of x gets larger, the value of y also gets larger.

2. How do I determine the values of x for an increasing function?

To find the values of x for an increasing function, you can use the graph of the function or the algebraic expression. On a graph, the x-values will increase from left to right. In an algebraic expression, the coefficient of the x-term should be positive.

3. Can an increasing function have a decreasing interval?

No, an increasing function cannot have a decreasing interval. By definition, an increasing function should have a positive slope, meaning that it is always increasing. If there is a section where the function decreases, it would not be considered an increasing function.

4. What is the difference between an increasing function and a strictly increasing function?

An increasing function is one where the output increases as the input increases, but it can have flat or constant intervals. On the other hand, a strictly increasing function has no flat or constant intervals and has a positive slope for all values of x.

5. How can I use the concept of increasing functions in real-life situations?

Increasing functions can be used to analyze and predict various real-life situations, such as population growth, stock market trends, and sales data. By understanding the behavior of an increasing function, we can make informed decisions and predictions in these scenarios.