Finding the Special Initial Velocity in a kx Force System

• Thread starter treynolds147
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, a particle of mass m subject to a force F(x) = kx, with k > 0, has a general solution of x(t) = Ae^{\omega t} + Be^{-\omega t}, with \omega = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}. The initial velocity v_0 must be equal to -x_0\omega for the first term of the general solution to not dominate and for x to approach the x-axis.
treynolds147

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is subject to a force F(x) = kx, with k > 0. What is the most general form of x(t)? If the particle starts out at x0, what is the one special value of the initial velocity for which the particle doesn't eventually get far away from the origin?

Homework Equations

[itex]m\ddot{x} = kx[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So the general solution is [itex]x(t) = Ae^{\omega t} + Be^{-\omega t}[/itex], with [itex]\omega = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/itex] of course. My issue is with the second part of the question; as far as I understand it, it wants me to figure out for what value of v0 makes it so that the first term of the general solution doesn't dominate (since that term would see x increase to infinity, whereas the second term would see x approaching the x-axis). If that's what the question is asking, I'm not quite sure how I'd go about that! Any hints and help would be much appreciated. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, x will go indefinitely away from [itex]x_0[/itex] as long as A is not 0.

You have the initial values [itex]x(0)= x_0[/itex] and [itex]x'(0)= v_0[/itex]. What value of [itex]v_0[/itex] gives A= 0?

Okay, so if A is going to be 0, I get
[itex] v_{0} = -B\omega [/itex].
Owing to the fact that [itex] x(0) = x_{0} = A + B [/itex], and seeing as how A = 0, this gives me a value of
[itex] v_{0} = -x_{0}\omega [/itex].
Does that sound right?

Related to Finding the Special Initial Velocity in a kx Force System

1. What is a kx force?

A kx force refers to a type of force that is directly proportional to the displacement of an object from its equilibrium position, and acts in the opposite direction of that displacement. It is commonly seen in systems involving springs or elastic materials.

2. How is a kx force calculated?

The magnitude of a kx force can be calculated using the equation F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. This equation is known as Hooke's Law.

3. What is the difference between a kx force and a constant force?

A kx force is a type of variable force that changes in magnitude based on the displacement of the object, while a constant force remains the same regardless of the displacement. In other words, the magnitude of a kx force is directly proportional to the displacement, while a constant force has a fixed magnitude.

4. Can a kx force change direction?

Yes, a kx force can change direction depending on the direction of the displacement of the object. If the object is pulled or pushed in the opposite direction of its displacement, the kx force will also act in the opposite direction.

5. How is a kx force related to energy?

A kx force is directly related to potential energy, as it is the force that is responsible for storing potential energy in a spring or elastic material. When an object is displaced, the kx force acts in the opposite direction, causing the object to gain potential energy that can be released when the object returns to its equilibrium position.