Finding the radius of the sphere

In summary, the problem involves a small ball jumping around in a spherical bowl and hitting the bowl in two spots. The ball then moves in two different trajectories in times T1 and T2. The only known relationship is that the horizontal velocities of the two trajectories are related by v_{x1}/v_{x2} = T2/T1. The problem also mentions Newton's laws of dynamics and the concept of perfectly elastic collisions. However, it is unclear how the radius of the bowl is related to this information.
kaspis245

Homework Statement

In a spherical bowl a small ball is jumping around. The ball hits the bowl in two spots and moves in two different trajectories in times T1, T2. Find the radius of the bowl.

sphere_image.png

Homework Equations

Newton's laws of dynamics.

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing I could figure out is how the horizontal velocities of different trajectories are related:
[tex] s=v_{x1}⋅T_1=v_{x2}⋅T_2 ⇒ \frac{v_{x1}}{v_{x2}} = \frac{T_2}{T_1} [/tex]
But I can't find a way to get any expression with the radius. Please help.

Attachments

• sphere_image.png
    sphere_image.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 725
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about the incoming and outgoing angle for a perfectly elastic collision?

Unrelated to that: You will probably need the trajectories in both parts.

mfb said:
What do you know about the incoming and outgoing angle for a perfectly elastic collision?
Momentum is conserved. Then the velocities of both trajectories are equal. I still can't see how the radius is related to any of this.

kaspis245 said:
Momentum is conserved. Then the velocities of both trajectories are equal. I still can't see how the radius is related to any of this.
The ball interacts with the bowl which is much bigger than the ball. You can consider the bowl of infinite mass. The velocities are not the same, but energy might be conserved. What would it mean for the speeds?
The ball performs two different projectile motions with the same range.
upload_2017-12-28_14-28-36.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-28_14-28-36.png
    upload_2017-12-28_14-28-36.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
kaspis245 said:
$$
s=v_{x1}⋅T_1=v_{x2}⋅T_2 ⇒ \frac{v_{x1}}{v_{x2}} = \frac{T_2}{T_1}$$
Are you saying the two different trajectories have the same path length ?

Ok, so the velocities are not equal. I can’t really apply the momentum conservation law since the direction of motion changes after the impact, and I don’t have any angles.

As for the energy I can only say that [tex]v_1<v_2[/tex] since the path [tex]T_1[/tex] has more potential energy (jumps higher).

BvU said:
Are you saying the two different trajectories have the same path length ?
The trajectories have the same horizontal distance, which I denoted by s.

kaspis245 said:
Ok, so the velocities are not equal. I can’t really apply the momentum conservation law since the direction of motion changes after the impact, and I don’t have any angles.

As for the energy I can only say that [tex]v_1<v_2[/tex] since the path [tex]T_1[/tex] has more potential energy (jumps higher).
What do you mean on v1 and v2?
The problem said
In a spherical bowl a small ball is jumping around.
that means the ball repeats its motion, so the collisions can be considered elastic.
The ball has both horizontal and vertical components of velocity. It jumps higher if the vertical component is bigger.
T1 and T2 are the times between two collisions with the bowl.

kaspis245 said:
Ok, so the velocities are not equal
It's the directions, and the directions only, that change !

Related to Finding the radius of the sphere

What is the formula for finding the radius of a sphere?

The formula for finding the radius of a sphere is r = √(V/ (4/3)π), where r is the radius, V is the volume, and π is pi (approximately equal to 3.14).

How do I find the volume of a sphere to use in the formula for finding the radius?

The formula for finding the volume of a sphere is V = (4/3)πr³, where r is the radius and π is pi (approximately equal to 3.14). You can also use the diameter of the sphere to find the volume with the formula V = (1/6)πd³, where d is the diameter.

Is there a specific unit of measurement for the radius of a sphere?

The radius of a sphere can be measured in any unit of length, such as meters, centimeters, or inches. It is important to make sure that all measurements used in the formula are in the same unit to get an accurate result.

Can I use the same formula to find the radius of any type of sphere?

Yes, the formula for finding the radius of a sphere is the same regardless of the type of sphere. This includes hollow spheres, solid spheres, and spheres with irregular shapes. As long as you have the volume of the sphere, you can use the formula to find its radius.

What is the easiest way to find the radius of a sphere if I don't have the volume?

If you do not have the volume of the sphere, you can find the radius by using a ruler or measuring tape to measure the distance from the center of the sphere to any point on its surface. This measurement will be the radius of the sphere.