Finding the period of small vertical oscillations

In summary, the student is trying to solve the differential equation but is stuck. The main thing they need to know is that acceleration is d2x/dt2.
green-beans

Homework Statement

I need to find the period of small vertical oscillations about equilibrium position of a string whose motion can be described by the following equation:
d2x/dt2 = (-g/h)*x

Answer: 2π√(h/g)

Homework Equations

I know that the time period is given by the formula
T = 2πω where ω = √({d2V/dx2} / m) where V is the potential

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving the differential equation but I got stuck by doing the following:
Transform differential equation into (by taking dx/dt on both sides):
d2x/dt2 dx/dt = (-g/h)*x dx/dt
Denote dx/dt = m, then we can write:
∫m*dm/dt dt = ∫(-g/h)*x * dx/dt dt
(m)2/2 = -gx2/2h
which is:
(dx/dt)2/2 = -gx2/2h
which gives that dx/dt is equal to √(-gx2/h) which is impossible since there is a negative sign inside.

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
What about the constant of integration?

The equation of SHM is a = - ω2 x
d2x/dt2 Is the acceleration...can you see what is ω2
To find out what is t ?

T = 2Pi/ω ...not 2πω

lychette said:
The equation of SHM is a = - ω2 x
d2x/dt2 Is the acceleration...can you see what is ω2
To find out what is t ?

T = 2Pi/ω ...not 2πω
Ohhh, thank you so much! So ω is √(g/h) and then T = 2π/ω = 2π√(h/g)
The thing is that we did not learn about this formula before and so I was wondering if there is a way to deduce T by solving the equation?

green-beans said:
Ohhh, thank you so much! So ω is √(g/h) and then T = 2π/ω = 2π√(h/g)
The thing is that we did not learn about this formula before and so I was wondering if there is a way to deduce T by solving the equation?
The main thing you need to know is that acceleration is d2x/dt2
SHM is motion where acceleration is proportional to displacement...ie acc = - k x ...( - sign because restoring force, and therefore acceleration, is directed towards the equilibrium position)
In your case k = g/h

green-beans said:
I was wondering if there is a way to deduce T by solving the equation?
Yes, see post #2.

haruspex said:
Yes, see post #2.
Hi, thank you for your reply!
I totally forgot about the constant of integration. However, I still cannot get the needed result by just simply solving the equation.
So, with the constant of integration, I get:
dx/dt=v=√(c-gx2/h)
then I solve this differential equation again and get:
T = (√h) (arcsin ((x√g)/√ch) (in this case constant of integration is zero as at time t=0 the displacement from equilibrium position is zero)
But then I am not sure what I have to do with c.

green-beans said:
T = (√h) (arcsin ((x√g)/√ch)
That does not look right. There should be a g outside the arcsin.

haruspex said:
That does not look right. There should be a g outside the arcsin.
Ooops, I am really sorry - I made a slip. For the solution I got T = √(h/g) arcsin ({x√g}/{√ch}) but then I am not sure where does 2π in the solution come from :(

green-beans said:
Ooops, I am really sorry - I made a slip. For the solution I got T = √(h/g) arcsin ({x√g}/{√ch}) but then I am not sure where does 2π in the solution come from :(
It might be more obvious if you turn it around to express x as a function of time. What is the smallest increment of time after which the function repeats?

Likes green-beans
haruspex said:
It might be more obvious if you turn it around to express x as a function of time. What is the smallest increment of time after which the function repeats?
Ohhh, I see, thank you so much! It makes sense! :)

Related to Finding the period of small vertical oscillations

1. What is the period of a small vertical oscillation?

The period of a small vertical oscillation is the time it takes for one complete cycle of motion, from the starting point to the highest point, back to the starting point, and then to the lowest point, and back to the starting point again.

2. How do you calculate the period of a small vertical oscillation?

The period of a small vertical oscillation can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(l/g), where T is the period, l is the length of the pendulum, and g is the gravitational acceleration.

3. What factors affect the period of small vertical oscillations?

The period of small vertical oscillations is affected by the length of the pendulum, the gravitational acceleration, and the amplitude of the oscillation.

4. Can the period of small vertical oscillations be changed?

Yes, the period of small vertical oscillations can be changed by altering the length of the pendulum or the gravitational acceleration. It can also be changed by increasing or decreasing the amplitude of the oscillation.

5. Why is it important to find the period of small vertical oscillations?

It is important to find the period of small vertical oscillations in order to accurately predict and understand the behavior of pendulum systems. This information can also be applied to other systems that exhibit oscillatory motion, such as springs and waves.