Finding the max value of the average normal stress

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of stress in a link under tension and compression. The area used for calculation differs in each case, with the entire cross sectional area used for compression and only the area between the outside faces of the holes used for tension. This is due to the difference in the direction of forces acting on the link. Additionally, the conversation mentions the concept of bearing stresses and their impact on the calculation of stress in a link.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

Here is the question with the solution:
vAGtv.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the first part where they find the forces by summation of moments. However I don't understand how they got that area. Why would they take the diameter (0.016) and subtract it from the length (0.036)? Aren't you suppose to use the area of the link that is parallel to the force. In other words, use the area (0.008) * (the thickness of the link which is not given)?

For example if you were pulling a cylindrical rod you would use the area of the circle to find the stress and not the surface area of the sides of the cylinder.

Physics news on Phys.org
The thickness is given. The link has a horizontal cross section of 8 x 36mm stated in the first line of the problem. As for the area calculated...think about where on the link the max stress occurs.

CWatters said:
The thickness is given. The link has a horizontal cross section of 8 x 36mm stated in the first line of the problem. As for the area calculated...think about where on the link the max stress occurs.

Oh I see, but why is it that the link in tension has an area 0.008 * (0.036-0.016) whereas the link in compression is just 0.008 * 0.036?

theBEAST said:
Oh I see, but why is it that the link in tension has an area 0.008 * (0.036-0.016) whereas the link in compression is just 0.008 * 0.036?
When in compression, are there any stresses in the links at the ends beyond the pin holes?

PhanthomJay said:
When in compression, are there any stresses in the links at the ends beyond the pin holes?

Hmm... Well how I see it is that the max stress is applied at where the pin holes are. In other words I think the area for both should be 0.008 * 0.016 (the width of the link times the diameter of the whole). What I see is that we are just pulling the pins... Sorry I am just very confused, could you explain why my hypothesis is incorrect?

There is a difference between normal tensile or compressive stresses and bearing stresses. When you calculate the area based on thickness times hole diameter, you are calculating the area to use for localized bearing stresses. These stresses exist at the hole and pin regardless of wheteher loading in the link is tensile or compressive. Allowable bearing (crushing) stresses are quite high compared to allowable normal stresses in the link itself. The hole decreases the net area of the link cross section when the member is in tension. But when in compression...??

PhanthomJay said:
There is a difference between normal tensile or compressive stresses and bearing stresses. When you calculate the area based on thickness times hole diameter, you are calculating the area to use for localized bearing stresses. These stresses exist at the hole and pin regardless of wheteher loading in the link is tensile or compressive. Allowable bearing (crushing) stresses are quite high compared to allowable normal stresses in the link itself. The hole decreases the net area of the link cross section when the member is in tension. But when in compression...??

WOW I think I am starting to understand this :D Alright I understand why we use that area for compression as I tried to illustrate in this diagram. Since the compression stress pushes inwards, then we must use the entire cross sectional area.

R9p9k.jpg

However I am still a bit lost with tension, if you look at how I bolded the bottom part of the link in tension it still looks to me as if the whole area 0.008*0.036 is under tension. Could you please explain how I should be visualizing this?

Thanks!

theBEAST said:
WOW I think I am starting to understand this :D Alright I understand why we use that area for compression as I tried to illustrate in this diagram. Since the compression stress pushes inwards, then we must use the entire cross sectional area.

R9p9k.jpg

However I am still a bit lost with tension, if you look at how I bolded the bottom part of the link in tension it still looks to me as if the whole area 0.008*0.036 is under tension. Could you please explain how I should be visualizing this?

Thanks!
For the compression case, you cross - hatched the area of the compressive stresses, the area between the inside faces of the holes.
For the tension case, in a similar manner, cross hatch the area where the tensile stesses exist; but this time, that will be the area between the outside faces of the holes.
Tensile and compressive forces act perpendicular (normal) to the plane on which they act.

Stress is concentrated where the cross sectional area is at a minimum. If you imagine the link as per the enclosed drawing that would be where the dotted line is.

Note that in the problem the distance from the center of the pin hole to the end of the link isn't specified.

Attachments

• link.jpg
    link.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 1,250
  • link1.jpg
    link1.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 1,311
Last edited:

Related to Finding the max value of the average normal stress

What is the average normal stress?

The average normal stress is a measure of the distribution of stress within a material or structure. It is calculated by dividing the total normal stress acting on an area by the area itself.

Why is finding the max value of the average normal stress important?

Finding the maximum value of the average normal stress is important because it helps determine the strength and stability of a material or structure. It allows engineers and scientists to identify potential failure points and make necessary design changes to ensure safety.

How is the max value of the average normal stress calculated?

The max value of the average normal stress is typically calculated using mathematical equations and formulas, taking into account the material properties, the applied forces, and the geometry of the structure. Advanced computer simulations are often used to accurately determine this value.

What factors can affect the max value of the average normal stress?

Several factors can affect the max value of the average normal stress, including the type of material, the magnitude and direction of the applied forces, and any imperfections or defects in the structure. Changes in temperature and humidity can also impact the stress distribution within a material.

How can the max value of the average normal stress be reduced?

The max value of the average normal stress can be reduced by altering the design or material properties of a structure, using reinforcement or support structures, or redistributing the applied forces. It is important to carefully analyze and test different solutions to ensure the safety and stability of the structure.