Finding the least possible sum of a product.

In summary, the question asks for two positive numbers with a product of 100 that will produce the least possible sum when added together. The solution involves finding two numbers that are closest together and equal to the square root of 100, which are 10 and 10. This sum of 20 is then confirmed to be the minimum by comparing it to other possible sums.
Physics345

Homework Statement

The product of two positive numbers is 100. What numbers will produce the least possible sum? Confirm that the sum is in fact a minimum.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For this question here I feel like the wording is a bit confusing, I tried my best please let me know if I'm on the right track and if there is any mistakes we can work through.
Anyways here's my train of thought:
From my understanding it is asking me to find two positive numbers that have a product of 100. Basically two numbers when multiplied together equal 100, and the two numbers need to have the lowest possible sum when added together.
Here's my work:
1qeYxiY.png

Attachments

• 1qeYxiY.png
    1qeYxiY.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,645
Physics news on Phys.org
What you posted is a bit hard to follow (it doesn't appear to be first column followed by second column, but rather some back and forth), but overall it appears correct.

Likes Physics345
DrClaude said:
What you posted is a bit hard to follow (it doesn't appear to be first column followed by second column, but rather some back and forth), but overall it appears correct.
That is true, I'll be sure to put the math in order from now on. I wrote that when I first woke up. I wasn't thinking straight, it looks like I'm still doing math in my dreams, which is also extremely unorganized/confusing but correct.
I appreciate your help kind sir.

Thread moved to Calc & Beyond section.

Related to Finding the least possible sum of a product.

1. How do you find the least possible sum of a product?

To find the least possible sum of a product, you need to analyze the factors involved and determine the smallest values that can be multiplied together to get the desired product.

2. Why is it important to find the least possible sum of a product?

Finding the least possible sum of a product can be useful in various mathematical problems, such as optimization, budgeting, and minimizing resources. It can also provide insights into patterns and relationships between numbers.

3. What is the difference between the least possible sum of a product and the greatest possible product?

The least possible sum of a product refers to finding the smallest sum that can be obtained by multiplying two or more numbers, while the greatest possible product refers to finding the largest product that can be obtained by multiplying two or more numbers.

4. Can the least possible sum of a product be negative?

Yes, the least possible sum of a product can be negative. This can happen when the factors involved are negative numbers or when there is an odd number of negative factors, resulting in a negative product.

5. What are some strategies for finding the least possible sum of a product?

Some strategies for finding the least possible sum of a product include using the distributive property, factoring, and considering the relationship between the numbers involved. It can also be helpful to start with the smallest factors and work your way up to larger ones.