Finding the Derivative of Factorial Function

In summary, the conversation is about finding the derivative of the factorial function and integrating it. The correct expression for the derivative is given and it is mentioned that there is no nice expression for the anti-derivative, so it must be evaluated numerically. The possibility of integrating it to anything simple is discussed, with the conclusion that it cannot be done. A link to more information about the topic is provided.
coki2000
Hi,
I want to find the derivative of factorial function f(x)=x! and i found this integral,

[tex]f(x)=x!=\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-t}t^xdt[/tex] when i take derivative of this

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}f(x)=\frac{d}{dx}\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-t}t^xdt=\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-t}t^xlnxdx[/tex]

How do i find this integral? Please help me. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Incorrect differentiation!

You should get:
[tex]\frac{df}{dx}=\int_{0}^{\infty}\ln(t)e^{-t}t^{x}dt[/tex]

There is no nice expression for the anti-derivative with respect to "t" here, so it must be evaluated numerically.

arildno said:
Incorrect differentiation!

You should get:
[tex]\frac{df}{dx}=\int_{0}^{\infty}\ln(t)e^{-t}t^{x}dt[/tex]

There is no nice expression for the anti-derivative with respect to "t" here, so it must be evaluated numerically.

Okey if i want to find

[tex]f'(2)=\int_{0}^{\infty}\ln(t)e^{-t}t^{2}dt[/tex]

can i integrate it?

coki2000 said:
can i integrate it?

Have you actually read arildno's post?

coki2000 said:
Okey if i want to find

can i integrate it?

To anything simple?

Nope.

coki2000 said:
Okey if i want to find

can i integrate it?

Yes, http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Euler-MascheroniConstant.html" .

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Finding the Derivative of Factorial Function

1. What is the factorial function and why is it important in calculus?

The factorial function, denoted by the exclamation mark (!), is a mathematical operation that multiplies a given number by all positive integers less than itself. In calculus, it is important because it is used to find the derivative of a function, which is a crucial concept in determining the rate of change of a variable.

2. How do you find the derivative of a factorial function?

To find the derivative of a factorial function, we use the product rule of differentiation. This involves taking the derivative of each term in the factorial function and then multiplying them together. For example, the derivative of n! would be n*(n-1)!.

3. Can you give an example of finding the derivative of a factorial function?

Yes, let's find the derivative of x! Using the product rule, we have:
x! = x * (x-1)!
Taking the derivative of both sides, we get:
d/dx (x!) = d/dx (x * (x-1)!)
= x * d/dx ((x-1)!) + (x-1)! * d/dx (x)
= x * (x-1)! * 1 + (x-1)! * 1
= (x-1)! * (x + 1)
Therefore, the derivative of x! is (x-1)! * (x+1).

4. Are there any special cases when finding the derivative of a factorial function?

Yes, when the factorial function contains a constant, we use the chain rule of differentiation. For example, the derivative of 3x! would be 3 * (x-1)! * (x+1). Additionally, when the factorial function contains a fraction, we use the quotient rule. For instance, the derivative of (x/2)! would be (1/2) * (x/2-1)! * (x/2+1).

5. Why is it important to understand how to find the derivative of a factorial function?

It is important to understand how to find the derivative of a factorial function because it is an essential tool in solving many problems in calculus. It allows us to determine the instantaneous rate of change of a function, which is crucial in various real-life applications such as physics, engineering, and economics. Moreover, understanding the derivative of a factorial function is a fundamental concept that helps build a strong foundation for more advanced calculus topics.