Finding the angular resolution

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the 1.22 (λ/D) formula and the typical wavelengths involved in operating the GMRT. The speaker confirms that the methodology used is correct, but cannot confirm the expected choice of typical wavelengths. They mention that the GMRT is capable of operating on a wide range of frequencies, with a difference of over an order of magnitude from highest to lowest wavelength. The speaker also mentions the optical wavelength, where 500 nm is typical, but it is a much narrower range compared to the GMRT's range. They believe the approach and usage of the formula are good, but cannot confirm if looking for ballpark figures is the intended goal. The conversation ends with a thank you for the response and a
shanepitts

Homework Statement

1.3.png

Homework Equations

θ=1.22 (λ/D)

The Attempt at a Solution

1.3 answer.jpg

Just want to know if I properly answered this question.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your methodology is correct.

The only thing I can not confirm is how you are expected to choose the typical wavelengths involved. The GMRT is capable of operating on many frequencies in different bands -- altogether the range is greater than an order of magnitude from highest to lowest wavelength. Although yes, 1 m is within that range, if you're just looking for a ballpark figure.

Similarly, we can say the same thing about the optical wavelength (where 500 nm is typical), although it is a much narrower range (much less than 1 order of magnitude).

So anyway, I'm guessing that your approach is fine. Your usage of the formulae is good. I think your choices of wavelengths are good for ballpark figures, but I can't say for sure that you are supposed to be looking for ballpark figures.

Likes shanepitts
collinsmark said:
Yes, your methodology is correct.

The only thing I can not confirm is how you are expected to choose the typical wavelengths involved. The GMRT is capable of operating on many frequencies in different bands -- altogether the range is greater than an order of magnitude from highest to lowest wavelength. Although yes, 1 m is within that range, if you're just looking for a ballpark figure.

Similarly, we can say the same thing about the optical wavelength (where 500 nm is typical), although it is a much narrower range (much less than 1 order of magnitude).

So anyway, I'm guessing that your approach is fine. Your usage of the formulae is good. I think your choices of wavelengths are good for ballpark figures, but I can't say for sure that you are supposed to be looking for ballpark figures.
Thank you for your detailed response

I think radio wavelengths larger than 10m are blocked by the atmosphere.

Related to Finding the angular resolution

1. What is angular resolution?

Angular resolution is a measure of the smallest angle that can be distinguished by an optical or imaging system. It is a measure of the system's ability to distinguish between two closely spaced objects or details in an image.

2. How is angular resolution measured?

Angular resolution is typically measured in units of arcseconds (arcsec). It is calculated by dividing the wavelength of light by the diameter of the aperture or lens used in the system. The smaller the resulting value, the higher the angular resolution.

3. Why is angular resolution important in scientific research?

Angular resolution is important in scientific research because it allows for the detection and analysis of small details and structures in images. This is crucial in fields such as astronomy, where precise measurements of celestial objects are necessary.

4. How can angular resolution be improved?

Angular resolution can be improved by increasing the diameter of the aperture or lens used in the system, using adaptive optics or image processing techniques, and reducing atmospheric distortion through the use of telescopes or satellite imaging.

5. What factors affect angular resolution?

Several factors can affect angular resolution, including the wavelength of light, the diameter of the aperture or lens, the quality of the optics used, and atmospheric conditions. Other external factors such as vibration, thermal noise, and camera pixel size can also impact the system's ability to resolve small details.