Finding the angle for force component

In summary, the problem asks to find the Fx' and Fy components of a given force (F = 360 N) at an angle of -60 degrees with the x-axis and 10 degrees with the rotated x-axis (x'). The solution uses the Law of Sines, Law of Cosines, and Law of Parallelograms for Vectors. The missing angle, Phi, can be found by setting up a triangle with the given information and solving for Phi. The problem is not fully defined, as it does not specify if x' and y' are perpendicular, but this assumption can be made in order to solve for Phi.
TheShehanigan

Homework Statement

Find the Fx' and Fy components of the given force, given that y' is 10 degrees, there is a 60 degree angle between F and X in the negative direction, and F = 360 N. Use only the Law of Sines, Law of Cosines and Law of Parallelograms.

Homework Equations

Sin a / A = Sin b / B

C^2 = A^2 + B^2 - 2 AB Cos c

Law of Parallelograms for Vectors

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found so far a nice triangle, the one that covers the positive X axis, but I am having trouble finding Phi (which is supposed to be 10). If I can find Phi, I can solve for the components, which I know how to do. Problem is, I'm not told x' and y' are perpendicular, so I can solve using 90 degrees, or anything. I just have the 30 degrees on the bottom, and the 60 + Phi on the top left, but I'm missing the top right. Any tips on finding Phi?

Here's a pic.

Problem-1.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you give the exact statement of the original problem? I suppose the black lines are perpendicular x and y axes, but you haven't labeled them. And you haven't said what x' and y' are nor are they labeled. My guess is that they represent a rotation of the x and y axes through 10 degrees. I would also guess that you have the F vector pointed in the opposite direction if the angle between F and the x-axis is -60 degrees.

Please state the problem, word for word, from where you got it.

I commend your use of the appropriate equations and your method of approaching the problem. It seems like you have a good understanding of the concepts involved.

To find Phi, you can use the Law of Cosines equation: C^2 = A^2 + B^2 - 2ABcosC. In this case, C is the side opposite to the angle Phi, A is the side opposite to the angle 60 degrees, and B is the side opposite to the angle 30 degrees. You know the values of A and B, and you can find the value of C using the given force F = 360 N. Once you have C, you can solve for cosC and then use inverse cosine to find the value of Phi.

Alternatively, you can also use the Law of Sines equation: Sin a / A = Sin b / B. In this case, a is the angle 60 + Phi, A is the side opposite to this angle, and b is the angle 30 degrees. You know the values of A and b, so you can solve for sin a. Then, you can use inverse sine to find the value of a, which is 60 + Phi. From there, you can solve for Phi.

I hope this helps you in finding the angle Phi and solving the problem. Keep up the good work!

Related to Finding the angle for force component

1. What is the angle for force component?

The angle for force component refers to the angle at which a force is acting on an object. It is measured relative to a reference axis or direction.

2. How do you find the angle for force component?

The angle for force component can be found using trigonometry. The angle can be calculated using the cosine or sine function, depending on the given information and what is being solved for.

3. Why is it important to find the angle for force component?

Finding the angle for force component is important because it helps determine the direction and magnitude of a force acting on an object. This information is crucial in analyzing the motion of an object and predicting its behavior.

4. What are some common methods for finding the angle for force component?

Some common methods for finding the angle for force component include using a protractor or ruler to measure the angle directly, using trigonometric functions such as cosine or sine, and using vector analysis to break down the force into its components.

5. How does the angle for force component affect the overall force on an object?

The angle for force component affects the overall force on an object by changing the direction and magnitude of the force. A larger angle for force component will result in a smaller force acting on the object, while a smaller angle will result in a larger force. Additionally, the direction of the force will also be affected by the angle.