Finding postion, velocity and accelration as functions of time (SHM)

In summary, at time t = 0 the glider is at x=-A and has a velocity of .025m/s and an acceleration of .0025m/s2.
aglo6509

Homework Statement

A 1.00-kg glider attached to a spring with a force constant 16.0 N/m oscillates on a frictionless, horizontal air track. At t = 0, the glider is released from rest at x = -2.50 cm (that is, the spring is compressed by 2.50 cm).

Find the position, velocity, and acceleration as functions of time. (Where position is in m, velocity is in m/s, acceleration is in m/s2, and t is in s. Use the following as necessary: t.)

Homework Equations

x(t)=Acos(ωt+ φ)

v(t)= dx/dt

a(t)=d^2x/dt^2

ω=√(k/m)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the answer is x(t)= .025cos(4t+π) (then taking the derivatives respectively). What I can't figure out however is why φ=π. I thought if the particle is at its maximum position (x=A) at t=0, φ=0?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right that if t=0 and φ=0, the oscillator starts at x=A. The amplitude A is a positive number. Perhaps that's the bit of info you're missing. In this problem, you know the oscillator starts at the other extreme, x=-A, where A = 0.025 m.

I copied the question word for word. It was the third question in the problem however. It asked me to find the period and the maximum velocity and acceleration. But I don't see how that would matter in the third question.

I have no idea what you're asking.

I'm asking why φ=π in this question when I thought it should be zero because of the given information.

My first thought, seeing a "glider" and a spring was that the glider was being lauched into the air by the spring! But that clearly is not the case- your "glider" is simply a mass attached to the spring so that it is pushed out and pulled back by the spring. Since the spring has spring constant 16 N/m, the force, at distance x from the neutral point is -16x Newton's. That is, you have [itex]mdx^2/dt^2= -16x[/itex] or [itex]dx^2/dt^2= -16x/m[/itex] which is just [itex]dx^2/dt^2= -16x[/itex] since the mass is 1 kg. The fact that the glider is " released from rest at x = -2.50 cm" means that x(0)= -0.0250 (because the spring constant is given in Newtons per meter, you want x in meters)and dx/dt(0)= 0.

Since you apparently are given "x(t)=Acos(ωt+ φ)", just replace x in each of dx/dt= -16x, x(0)= -2.5, dx/dt(0)= 0. You will get three equations to solve for the three parameters, A, ω, and φ.

(The condition [itex]d^2x/dt^2= -16x[/itex] must be true for all x. Comparing the right and left sides will tell you what ω is.)

HallsofIvy said:
My first thought, seeing a "glider" and a spring was that the glider was being lauched into the air by the spring! But that clearly is not the case- your "glider" is simply a mass attached to the spring so that it is pushed out and pulled back by the spring. Since the spring has spring constant 16 N/m, the force, at distance x from the neutral point is -16x Newton's. That is, you have [itex]mdx^2/dt^2= -16x[/itex] or [itex]dx^2/dt^2= -16x/m[/itex] which is just [itex]dx^2/dt^2= -16x[/itex] since the mass is 1 kg. The fact that the glider is " released from rest at x = -2.50 cm" means that x(0)= -0.0250 (because the spring constant is given in Newtons per meter, you want x in meters)and dx/dt(0)= 0.

Since you apparently are given "x(t)=Acos(ωt+ φ)", just replace x in each of dx/dt= -16x, x(0)= -2.5, dx/dt(0)= 0. You will get three equations to solve for the three parameters, A, ω, and φ.

(The condition [itex]d^2x/dt^2= -16x[/itex] must be true for all x. Comparing the right and left sides will tell you what ω is.)

At first they asked me to find the period of this glider, so to find ω I just did 2π/T

aglo6509 said:
I'm asking why φ=π in this question when I thought it should be zero because of the given information.
I explained that earlier. When t=0, you get x(0) = A cos φ where x(0) = -0.025 m and A = +0.025 m. Solve for φ.

vela said:
I explained that earlier. When t=0, you get x(0) = A cos φ where x(0) = -0.025 m and A = +0.025 m. Solve for φ.

Oh! i see it now. You'll get -1=cosφ making φ=π

Thank you and sorry for overlooking what you told me I overlooked :rolleyes:

aglo6509 said:
I know that the answer is x(t)= .025cos(4t+π) (then taking the derivatives respectively). What I can't figure out however is why φ=π. I thought if the particle is at its maximum position (x=A) at t=0, φ=0?

Take advantage of the trig identity cos(θ + π) = -cos(θ).

In this problem you want the initial displacement to be -A at time t = 0. By adding π to the argument of the cosine function you accomplish changing the sign.

Related to Finding postion, velocity and accelration as functions of time (SHM)

1. How do you find the position of an object as a function of time in SHM?

In SHM, the position of an object can be found using the equation x(t) = A*cos(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase constant.

2. What is the relationship between velocity and acceleration in SHM?

In SHM, velocity and acceleration are directly related and out of phase by 90 degrees. This means that when the velocity is at its maximum, the acceleration is zero, and vice versa. This relationship can be described by the equation a(t) = -ω^2*x(t), where a(t) is the acceleration and x(t) is the position.

3. How do you determine the frequency of an object in SHM?

The frequency of an object in SHM can be calculated using the equation f = ω/2π, where f is the frequency and ω is the angular frequency. The angular frequency can be found by taking the square root of the ratio of the restoring force constant (k) to the mass (m) of the object, ω = √(k/m).

4. Can the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in SHM be negative?

Yes, in SHM, the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object can be negative. This simply indicates the direction of movement of the object. For example, a negative position means that the object is moving in the negative direction of the x-axis.

5. How can you graph the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in SHM over time?

To graph the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in SHM over time, plot each quantity on the y-axis and time on the x-axis. These graphs will have sinusoidal shapes, with the position graph being a cosine function, the velocity graph being a sine function, and the acceleration graph being a negative cosine function.