Finding Possible Measurement Results of an Observable

In summary, possible measurement results for a given observable Q are determined by its eigenvalues. In this case, Q can be rewritten as a sum of identity operators with the exception of |u><u|, which is equivalent to the density operator ρ. However, since the states |i> are only known to be orthogonal and not eigenstates, it is unclear how to determine the eigenvalues of Q.
wgrenard

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the possible measurement results if a measurement of a given observable ##Q=I-\left|u\right\rangle\left\langle u\right|## is made on a system described by the density operator ##\rho={1 \over 4}\left|u\right\rangle\left\langle u\right|+{3 \over 4}\left|v\right\rangle\left\langle v\right|##.

I am given that ##\left|u\right\rangle## and ##\left|v\right\rangle## are normalized states, and that ##\left\langle u|v\right\rangle=cos(\theta)##. The definition of ##\theta## is unstated but I assume it is some angle in real space.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the possible measurement results are given by the eigenvalues of ##Q##, but in this instance, I am unsure of how to determine these. First, I attempted a resolution of the identity to rewrite ##Q## in a different form. Because ##\left|u\right\rangle## and ##\left|v\right\rangle## aren't orthogonal, however, they do not constitute a basis. To resolve the identity operator, you need to find a complete basis. If you create a one by choosing it to consist of ##\left|u\right\rangle## as well as a proper number of other vectors ##\left|1\right\rangle ,\left|2\right\rangle ,\left|3\right\rangle ,...## all orthogonal to each other, then ##Q## is:

##Q=\left|u\right\rangle\left\langle u\right|+\sum \left|i\right\rangle\left\langle i\right|-\left|u\right\rangle\left\langle u\right|=\sum \left|i\right\rangle\left\langle i\right|##

So, I succeeded in writing ##Q## in a more compact form. However, I am unsure how much good this has done me. Because I don't know the eigenstates of ##Q## I cannot say that the possible measurement results are the eigenvalues corresponding to the states ##\left|i\right\rangle##, which was originally what I was after, because all I know about the ##\left|i\right\rangle## states is that they are orthogonal, not that they are eigenstates.

Am I on the right track with this direction of reasoning, or should I be attempting this a different way?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the eigenvalues of the identity operator?

Related to Finding Possible Measurement Results of an Observable

What is an observable and why is it important?

An observable in science refers to a physical quantity or property that can be measured or observed. It is important because it allows us to gather data and information about the natural world, and to make predictions and draw conclusions based on our observations.

How do scientists determine the possible measurement results of an observable?

Scientists determine the possible measurement results of an observable through experiments and observations. They carefully design and conduct experiments to control variables and gather data, and then analyze the data to determine the range of possible results.

What factors can affect the measurement results of an observable?

There are several factors that can affect the measurement results of an observable, such as the precision and accuracy of the measuring instrument, environmental conditions, and human error. It is important for scientists to account for these factors in order to obtain reliable and valid results.

How do scientists ensure the accuracy of their measurements?

Scientists ensure the accuracy of their measurements by using precise and calibrated instruments, conducting multiple trials, and having their results reviewed and verified by other scientists. They also take into account any potential sources of error and try to minimize their impact on the measurements.

What is the significance of finding the possible measurement results of an observable?

Finding the possible measurement results of an observable is significant because it allows scientists to make predictions and test hypotheses, which can lead to a better understanding of the natural world. It also helps to validate scientific theories and support evidence-based decision making in various fields of study.