"Finding Orthonormal Vectors for 2 Matrices: A & B

• Thread starter oswaler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary: When I set Av=#v for #=b I get 3 equations:bx=bx ILCSiby=by ILCS-ibz=bz ILCSwhich seem to be orthonormal, but when I try to set #=-b the result is bx=-bx, -iby=-by, and -ibz=-bz. In summary, when trying to find the eigenvectors for two matrices, you should first find the eigenvalues and then use those values to find the eigenvectors.
oswaler

Homework Statement

for 2 matrices, A and B

A=
a 0 0
0 -a 0
0 0 -a

B=
b 0 0
0 0 -ib
0 ib 0

Find three orthonormal vectors which are simultaneous eigenvectors of A and B.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am very new to matrix math. The first thing that confused me was the use of the term "simultaneous eigenvectors." I looked through a bunch of books without finding it, so I assume the question is asking in general for 3 vectors that are also eigenvectors of the matrices. I understand the term orthonormal (both orthogonal and normalized). I'm kind of stuck on where to start. I tried getting eigenvalues for the matrices but the answers didn't seem to make sense.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Eric

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you try? What did you get? Why did the answers not make sense?

I don't know how to put the lambda symbol in here. Let #=lambda

I took AX=#X

so
a-# 0 0
0 -a-# 0
0 0 -a-#

taking det I had

(a-#)(-a-#)^2=0

so #=-a,a

But there should be 3 eigenvalues. If I use these values to get the eigenvectors, I get both vectors = (0 0 0)

When I do the same for the B matrix I get the same result.

Like I say, I'm very new to this. We got this stuff sort of thrown at us at the last minute and I can't find a good similar example in the textbooks I have.

Thanks - Eric

oswaler said:
I don't know how to put the lambda symbol in here. Let #=lambda

I took AX=#X

so
a-# 0 0
0 -a-# 0
0 0 -a-#

taking det I had

(a-#)(-a-#)^2=0

so #=-a,a

But there should be 3 eigenvalues. If I use these values to get the eigenvectors, I get both vectors = (0 0 0)
Yes, those are the eigenvalues. There do NOT have to be 3 distinct eigenvalues- here -a is a "double root" and you can expect (since the matrix is symmetric) to find two independent eigenvectors corresponding to [itex]\lambda= -a[/itex]. Unfortunately, you have left out the crucial part: you say, " If I use these values to get the eigenvectors, I get both vectors = (0 0 0)". The whole point of "eigenvalue" is that the equation Av= [itex]\lambda[/itex]v has non-trivial solutions. (0 0 0) is the trivial solution. HOW did you attempt to find the eigenvectors? If I multiply out
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{ccc} a & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & -a & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & -a\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{c} x \\ y \\ z\end{array}\right][/tex]
I get [ax -ay -az]. Setting that equal to av= [ax ay az], I get three equations: ax= ax, -ay= ay, and -az= az. Obviously, -ay= ay has only y= 0 as solution and -az= az has only z= 0 as solution, but ax= ax has any x as solution: an eigenvalue is [x 0 0] for any x. Taking [itex]\lambda= -a[/itex] gives [0 y 0] and [0 0 z] as eigenvalues for any y or z.

When I do the same for the B matrix I get the same result.

Like I say, I'm very new to this. We got this stuff sort of thrown at us at the last minute and I can't find a good similar example in the textbooks I have.

Thanks - Eric
First, you have to understand what "eigenvalues" are. If your statement "If I use these values to get the eigenvectors, I get both vectors = (0 0 0)" were true, then you would be saying they are not eigenvalues!

One thing you clearly need to understand, that has nothing to do with linear algebra, is that the equation ax= ax has every number x as solution!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. So I see I now have 3 eigenvectors for A: (1 0 0) (0 1 0) (0 0 1), which are obviously orthonormal.

When I get the eigenvalues for B I have b, -b, -b

When I set Av=#v for #=b I get 3 equations:
bx=bx
iby=by
-ibz=bz

so (x 0 0)

but for #=-b:
bx=-bx (so x=0)
-ibz=-by
iby=-bz

so y=iz and iy=-z (multiplying the 2nd equation by i on both sides again gives y=iz)
which seems like it would give a vector (0 i 1).

So I'm obviously missing something since the eigenvectors for both matrices should be the same.

Related to "Finding Orthonormal Vectors for 2 Matrices: A & B

1. What are orthonormal vectors?

Orthonormal vectors are a set of vectors that are perpendicular (orthogonal) to each other and have a length of 1 (unit length). This means that the dot product of any two orthonormal vectors is 0, and the magnitude of each vector is 1.

2. Why is it important to find orthonormal vectors for matrices A & B?

Finding orthonormal vectors for matrices A & B is important because it allows us to simplify complex calculations and makes it easier to work with the matrices. Orthonormal vectors are also used in various mathematical applications, such as solving systems of linear equations and performing matrix operations.

3. How do you find orthonormal vectors for matrices A & B?

To find orthonormal vectors for matrices A & B, we use the Gram-Schmidt process. This involves taking the original vectors from the matrices and performing a series of calculations to transform them into orthonormal vectors. The process includes normalizing each vector and subtracting its projection onto the previously calculated orthonormal vectors.

4. Can orthonormal vectors be found for any set of matrices?

Yes, orthonormal vectors can be found for any set of matrices. However, the process may be more complex for matrices with a higher dimension or if the vectors are not linearly independent.

5. What benefits do orthonormal vectors provide in data analysis and machine learning?

In data analysis and machine learning, orthonormal vectors are used to reduce the number of variables and simplify calculations, making it easier to analyze large datasets. They are also used in algorithms such as principal component analysis and linear regression, which help identify patterns and relationships in data.