Finding Maximum Power Delivered to Resistor

In summary, the answer key for this problem states that part (a) has already been solved and determined to be 5kΩ. However, the answer key does not provide any explanation or workings on how the maximum power of 957 µW for Ro was reached. The student attempted to find the power by using Mesh Current Analysis and found the current to be 0.7333 mA, but this resulted in a power of 0.00269 W, which is far from the given answer. The student is unsure if using Mesh Current is the correct method or if another circuit analysis method should be used.
jinger

Homework Statement

BeTVqgx.png

Part (a) has already been solved and determined to be 5kΩ, which has been confirmed by the answer key.

The answer key also states that the maximum power able to be delivered to Ro is 957 µW, but doesn't give any workings or explanations on how to reach this answer.

Homework Equations

P = I * V
V = I * R
P = I^2 * R

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted to find the power by finding the current across Ro and using that and the value for Ro to find the power. I found the current to be 0.7333 mA using Mesh Current Analysis, but this gives a power of 0.00269 W, which is far from the answer.

My workings are shown in the image below.

glWNOIF.jpg

Sorry if anything is difficult to pick out.

Am I correct in thinking that using Mesh Current to find the current across Ro will work to find the power, or should another circuit analysis method be used?

Physics news on Phys.org
jinger said:

Homework Statement

BeTVqgx.png

Part (a) has already been solved and determined to be 5kΩ, which has been confirmed by the answer key.

The answer key also states that the maximum power able to be delivered to Ro is 957 µW, but doesn't give any workings or explanations on how to reach this answer.

Homework Equations

P = I * V
V = I * R
P = I^2 * R

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted to find the power by finding the current across Ro and using that and the value for Ro to find the power. I found the current to be 0.7333 mA using Mesh Current Analysis, but this gives a power of 0.00269 W, which is far from the answer.

My workings are shown in the image below.Sorry if anything is difficult to pick out.

Am I correct in thinking that using Mesh Current to find the current across Ro will work to find the power, or should another circuit analysis method be used?
Yes, you can use the Mesh Current method to find the current across Ro, or you can replace the circuit by its Thevenin equivalent.
Your handwriting is impossible to read, type in your working. Your result is wrong.

Related to Finding Maximum Power Delivered to Resistor

1. What is maximum power delivered to a resistor?

Maximum power delivered to a resistor is the highest amount of power that can be transferred to the resistor without causing damage or overheating. It is the point where the resistor is working at its optimal efficiency.

2. How do you calculate maximum power delivered to a resistor?

The maximum power delivered to a resistor can be calculated using the formula Pmax = (Vmax)^2/R, where Pmax is the maximum power, Vmax is the maximum voltage, and R is the resistance of the resistor.

3. What factors affect the maximum power delivered to a resistor?

The maximum power delivered to a resistor is affected by the resistance of the resistor, the voltage applied, and the current through the resistor. It also depends on the type and material of the resistor, as well as the ambient temperature and any external factors such as air flow.

4. Why is it important to find the maximum power delivered to a resistor?

It is important to find the maximum power delivered to a resistor because it allows us to determine the maximum load that the resistor can handle without overheating or failing. This information is crucial in designing and selecting the appropriate resistor for a circuit to ensure its optimal performance and longevity.

5. How can you increase the maximum power delivered to a resistor?

The maximum power delivered to a resistor can be increased by decreasing the resistance of the resistor, increasing the voltage applied, or by using a resistor with a higher power rating. It is important to note, however, that increasing the maximum power beyond the recommended limit can lead to damage or failure of the resistor.